Taco Bell Extreme Recycling Program

Taco Bell has a plan in place to recycle some of the 8 billion pounds of used sauce packets that go into US landfills every year.
The fast food chain is rolling out a nationwide pilot program for customers to send used sauce packets back through the mail. The program, which was initially announced as a trial in April, was created with recycling company TerraCycle to "divert as many used sauce packets as possible away from landfills" and reuse them.

I typically decline the sauce since it's not very good anyway. I have better sauces at home. Sometimes they throw it in anyway.

The only Taco Bell sauce I have liked was the Verde (green tomatillo), which they only had a short time. I never let a packet of Verde go to waste, but generally toss the other "flavors." What about all those unused packets because their sauces just aren't good?

It's a nice idea, but probably just as unsustainable as people throwing out tons of sauce packets. They need to either put less sauce packets out there, or find a way to change the packaging. There is a reason plastic sauce pack recycling isn't a thing. And dumping it in some other country doesn't count as recycling.

Management needs to limit the amount of sauce packets the employees give out. I asked for sauce one time and the girl gave me a handful of about 25........ so I took two and gave her the rest back.

The local Taco Bell pays 16 bucks an hour but goes through people faster than their food does. It's always super busy. I take my kids there once in a while. The same place has a KFC also.

Reactions: JC1
I don’t know why they hand out so many packets. Like Warstud said above, I’ve ordered one item and there’s been >10 packets in the bag. Seems like that would go a long way right there. Most fast food places, like McDonald's, seem pretty strict on their sauce.

Management needs to limit the amount of sauce packets the employees give out. I asked for sauce one time and the girl gave me a handful of about 25........ so I took two and gave her the rest back.
This is common. Here in the Milwaukee area there is a local place called Kopp's and when you ask for ketchup they give you an enormous handful of the packets. We take them now and then to keep at home, and I don't think I've bought ketchup in the grocery store for several years.

Haven't most chains switched to pump dispensers and open condiment paper cups or plastic cups with lids at least for indoor eating?

Haven't most chains switched to pump dispensers and open condiment paper cups or plastic cups with lids at least for indoor eating?
Some here were doing that two years ago but since COVID everything is using packets now. I haven’t seen one place lately that has a pump dispenser.

I had an extremely thrifty friend who would buy bags of Taco Bell(close to Santa Cruz? )refried bean burritos when they were on sale from a location where an employee was crapping in the beans. If you Google it, this practice has not gone away. Not an urban myth.
Prefer to be hungry a little while longer and find someplace else.

I use a ton of the mild sauce. It seems that it would be more wasteful to send the others back though Imagine all the packaging for that and stuff. And who would take time to go to the post office and send it off or leave it in their mailbox and something get in there and rip it apart lol.

Back