Switching to 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to WalMart and pick up the M1 5W-30 of your choice. There is no downside to any of the quality synthetic 5W-30's. I use M1, 5W-30EP in my supercharged Jag (in FL) that calls for 0W-20 and 18,000 mile OCI's.

Like so many modern engines, my AJ126 Jag engine suffers on 0W-20. The AJ126 is a variant of the very reliable older Jag design, that used 5W-40. Jag improved the chains so they would just live through the warranty period with the 0W oil, and even used larger rod bearings to carry the load safely. Guess what fails, the main bearings, the cams and tappets. Inadequate viscosity for the design still has consequences.

So what do you recommend looking at for high temp operation
An oil with an approval that demonstrates high temperature oxidation stability, as well as resistance to deposit formation, ring sticking and varnish. Something like an ACEA A3/B4 oil with Mercedes-Benz 229.5 or VW 502 00 approval. Or the Mobil 1 ESP also mentioned. That's one of the best oils avilable anywhere.

It's as if forums were made for discussion and learning. I understand I can search, because I do/have A LOT. But cars/motors change, certs/oils change so info changes.

You cannot discuss in former threads? Why? You can probably learn even much more from reading existing threads. Yes, there are LOTS. Cars, certs and oil change? Significantly compared to one or two weeks before? Actually?

Most are around 230-240c which is well above my oil temps.

Your pistons and pistons rings are subject to 400°-500°C. So yes, your oil is susceptible to higher temps well above flash temp.

You cannot discuss in former threads? Why? You can probably learn even much more from reading existing threads. Yes, there are LOTS. Cars, certs and oil change? Significantly compared to one or two weeks before? Actually?

Your pistons and pistons rings are subject to 400°-500°C. So yes, your oil is susceptible to higher temps well above flash temp.
It's more effective/ efficient imo to ask specific things like I did vs going across 4 different old threads. If there's no rule against creating new threads, you could just ignore.

If it consistently runs at 230 and I was driving it "hard" like on twisty back roads I would probably just use regular 5w30 like vanilla M1. If it just putts around town or even mildly driven hard the 0w20 will be sufficient without a concern. I would only go all the way to Euro grade 30/40 if I was taking it on track.

It's as if forums were made for discussion and learning. I understand I can search, because I do/have A LOT. But cars/motors change, certs/oils change so info changes.
There's 24+ years of history. Formerly by previous forum owners, "Best Oil" threads were forbidden. We sometimes have fun with that.

I may have missed it, but you are not racing the car or extending the intervals or much else that would stress the oil.

1) Synthetic.
2) XW-30
3) Sufficient additives, pedigree, recommendations for application and approvals/certifications.

These are the only three things that are hard lined in. IMHO.

It doesn't matter and won't do anything for you if you switch from an ILSAC 0W-20 to an ILSAC 5W-30. If you want an improvement then switch to something like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 or 5W-30, or something similar, like PP Euro LX 0W-30, PP Euro L 5W-30, etc. Otherwise just stay with a quality 0W-20.

If you want to use one of the oils provided in your list, then PUP 5W-30 is the way to go. Castrol EDGE EP is another great choice.
I have found the newest M1 5W30 EP D1 / Gen 3 rated Synthetic oil to be surprisingly quiet in my otherwise noisy Hyundai Sonata - this could make for a good choice (don’t extend OCI beyond what your OM calls for).

It doesn't matter and won't do anything for you if you switch from an ILSAC 0W-20 to an ILSAC 5W-30. If you want an improvement then switch to something like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 or 5W-30, or something similar, like PP Euro LX 0W-30, PP Euro L 5W-30, etc. Otherwise just stay with a quality 0W-20.

If you want to use one of the oils provided in your list, then PUP 5W-30 is the way to go. Castrol EDGE EP is another great choice.
What're your thoughts on QSUP?

What're your thoughts on QSUP?
Here's a few previous threads to get you started on this brand. Some are quite long and detailed.

There are lots more if you need them:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back