Swap plastic Toyota oil filter for metal one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with a properly engineered polymer for an application. I think the firearms world has proven that in the 30 plus years.

Some plastics are junk, I won't argue. But that is like saying all metals are junk because of pot metal. The problem with plastics is that it is hard to judge the quality with a simple visual inspection.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Nothing wrong with a properly engineered polymer for an application. I think the firearms world has proven that in the 30 plus years.

+1 Most of those canisters get trashed from people using the wrong tools. You do not need to torque those on. Just use the assenmacher tool and snug it. I have heard of guys using a hammer on them to take them off.

15.gif

You would think there would be a replacement aluminum oil filter housing marketed for all Toyota motors.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the nylon one. Our GM products have them also w/o any issues. Yours are more than likely made with the same plastic/nylon GM uses.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
How does the plastic one fail? Does it crack from heat cycles?

It's cracks from tourqing. Sometime dealerships over tighten the housing and it cracks during an oci

It can happen from proper torquing also. When I had my 2010 Tundra, I did every single oil change since new and used the proper cup wrench and torqued to spec after every change. It still developed crack that leaked only under pressure. Changed to a metal cap and that all went away.

There's a good reason most manufacturers use plastic covers, and if the threads ever get dorked up you'll know why. As long as someone other than myself is going to change the oil in my new car I'll stick with the sacrificial plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back