Survey: Half of DC area workers would leave job to work for Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

You are taking this too literally/personal.

You are blaming boomers for the fact that life has never been easy. As a new hire, you always start at the bottom, and work your way up as you gain knowledge and experience. That's how it's been since the beginning of time.

All I'm hearing is excuses, that life isn't fair, nobody knows as much as you, and you expect to start out at the top of the food chain. The participation trophy ideology has left you and your peers unprepared, and feeling entitled.

I see it regularly with some of the new hires I oversee in my "job" (really just a nicely paid hobby). New graduates come in and are going to set the world on fire. They expect to be in charge by the following week, if only those above them would just leave... Meanwhile, they have lots to learn.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

You are taking this too literally/personal.

You are blaming boomers for the fact that life has never been easy. As a new hire, you always start at the bottom, and work your way up as you gain knowledge and experience. That's how it's been since the beginning of time.

All I'm hearing is excuses, that life isn't fair, nobody knows as much as you, and you expect to start out at the top of the food chain. The participation trophy ideology has left you and your peers unprepared, and feeling entitled.

I see it regularly with some of the new hires I oversee in my "job" (really just a nicely paid hobby). New graduates come in and are going to set the world on fire. They expect to be in charge by the following week, if only those above them would just leave... Meanwhile, they have lots to learn.

This is exactly what I see and hear as well. Expectations are too high for many these days. They have been taught all their lives that they can be whatever they want to be and success is right in front of them. Unfortunately those who told them that left out the hard work part.

They want a job but they don't want to work.

And a google link for you too.
CLICK HERE FOR GOOGLE SEARCH

I'm not of this generation, I'm in between but they get a bad reputation and it's not fair. Are there some out there as you describe Pim, sure there is and we know more about those today because of the age we live in where everything can be known instantly but I think it's just folks of previous generations discriminating on younger generations and this isn't new.

Every previous generation thinks this way to a degree because the future generation isn't doing it the way they would have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't use Google.

Clearly.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
And a google link for you too.
CLICK HERE FOR GOOGLE SEARCH

I'm not of this generation, I'm in between but they get a bad reputation and it's not fair. Are there some out there as you describe Pim, sure there is and we know more about those today because of the age we live in where everything can be known instantly but I think it's just folks of previous generations discriminating on younger generations and this isn't new.

Every previous generation thinks this way to a degree because the future generation isn't doing it the way they would have.

I see it more often than not. Did I make a blanket statement? No.

I'm not going any further with this.

I'm just adding to the conversation another view is all that there seems to be evidence that exists that says otherwise. Calm down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

They want a job but they don't want to work.

Quite the opposite actually. Maybe it is the kind of people you associate with or the kind of people your company attracts. Most of my millennial friends are working on Masters and PhD's while working a full-time job and paying their way, or joined the military. While I was working 50-60 hour weeks at my old job, the older folks were coming in late, taking 2 hour lunches, and leaving early. I'm not the average millennial, since I've had some form of a job since 10 years old (mowing lawns), paid my way through school, have a business, etc, but to say everyone is a lazy bum who lives with their parents is very ignorant of what is going on in the real world. I get it life has never been easy, that's why I work so hard, but to make blanket statements is just silly.

Of course there will always be lazy people who don't want to do anything but sit home and watch TV. Those people have existed for generations (I'm sure all the hippies of the 1960's were just go-getters and college scholars).

Might want to check out these articles then...

Click Link for Google Search

If that was directed at me, you should have replied to or quoted me.

Anyway, "Google" has demonstrated it is not a source for unbiased reporting or information. Perhaps you recall the comments of one 'fine' cough, cough, ahem, Google exec in regards to the Kavanaugh nomination, and the GOP?

I would post links, but they would be removed because of the language this fine, upstanding pillar of the community used...

Furthermore, I am ONLY posting what I am personally seeing.

Last edited:
02SE, it was added to the general discussion and happened to be right after your comment but wasn't aimed at you. I know where the quote button is.
grin2.gif

As for Google being biased who cares, the links it provides that contain the actual information are from credible sources and that is what matters. Use another search engine with the same search terms, that's fine too. I just googled it quickly is all.

02SE, it was added to the general discussion and happened to be right after your comment but wasn't aimed at you. I know where the quote button is.
grin2.gif

As for Google being biased who cares, the links it provides that contain the actual information are from credible sources and that is what matters. Use another search engine with the same search terms, that's fine too. I just googled it quickly is all.

Credible according to whom? You?

ALL 'News' sources have a bias. Google has demonstrated without a doubt that they have a bias. Google puts the results that agree with their bias at the top of the search results.

Go ahead and use what you want then.
21.gif

Like I said it was a quick google to provide some proof, that it doesn't meet what you like then go and research it yourself from whatever sources you trust. They are talking the same thing as it has been beaten to death in various forms of media.

21.gif

Like I said it was a quick google to provide some proof, that it doesn't meet what you like then go and research it yourself from whatever sources you trust. They are talking the same thing as it has been beaten to death in various forms of media.

I don't need to research it, I know what I'm seeing in the real world.

I'd be curious to know if those pity-party-for-Millenials articles, were written by...Millenials. Or Maybe a parent of a Millenial, that is hoping that one day they'll quit playing video games, leave the basement, and find a job. I know a few parents of Millenials who are reallllly hoping for that miraculous day.

Occasionally they ask my advice, and I tell them they know what they need to do.

I will add that SOME Millenials have their heads on straight, have a good work ethic, and know that nothing is just going to be handed to them.

Last edited:

And that reflects all millennial's everywhere? We should do away with government statistics departments then because everyone would know everything from seeing it in their own little corner of the world.
You might want to confirm what you have seen using multiple credible sources to be sure what you are seeing is factual and it's not just a narrow view of a much bigger picture.

Eg: Small picture: Looking at the top year of a market cycle and seeing it drop off from there, versus looking at the Bigger picture which is a 30 year snap shot and seeing that although there are some downs the overall is gains.
wink.gif

Last edited:

And that reflects all millennial's everywhere? We should do away with government statistics departments then because everyone would know everything from seeing it in their own little corner of the world.
You might want to confirm what you have seen using multiple credible sources to be sure what you are seeing is factual and it's not just a narrow view of a much bigger picture.
wink.gif

Missed my last paragraph apparently...

My own little corner of the world includes what I've seen all over the USA. I travel the USA a lot for my 'Hobby', and have friends all over. I've heard from friends that live in other countries that they are seeing the same to some extent. But since I don't live in those countries, I don't include them in my comments.

No I read it... It's not "Some" it's the majority that have their heads screwed on right.

It's "Some" that don't have their heads screwed on right but I think the older generation mislabels everything they don't agree with as "don't have their head screwed on right" when that isn't the case it's just not how they would have done something and that's not fair when it's a minority of millennial's that truly are warped view and don't have their heads screwed on right.

This combined with us drowning in information and social media makes it bigger than it actually is when research says otherwise which is why I said you should find credible sources and examine it further. I know it's hard to go against the grain and not agree with social cues and what seems to be though of mainstream (it is for everyone to a degree), but this is one of those situations where society has it wrong. It's easier to laugh at the memes on facebook making fun of a group and there are lots about millennial this largely add's to the problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
I am not sure people who work for federal government for any length except for new grads could really work for Amazon. A completely different work ethic and drive. If Amazon needs the experience of a federal worker obviously they'd scoop them up.

If you have the motivation you can do coding boot camp to get in. These days people don't ask for degree but they interview you like a final exam, white board coding, web based phone screen (given 1 hr to code and a few multiple choice, etc). So it is both good and bad, but the playing field is more leveled than ever.

As a Gen X (40 yr old), what I can say is that boomer has an unrealistic expectation of the younger generations (including gen X, but they are overshadowed by the millennial hate), and the millennial has an unrealistic expectation of the real world. Working hard alone isn't really worth it in many cases as the world changes, like there's no way you can save up fast enough if you go into a factory job working 50 hrs a week to catch up to housing and medical cost inflation. Still blaming the younger generations for wasting money on an iPhone while living at the parents' basement? Well, a $1k phone is nothing compare to a $2k apartment, sorry to burst the bubble but it is not worth doing $15/hr job so you can spend $2k a month on rent vs paying your mom $500 a month and live at home.

Maybe I have a bias, that I think not paying for your children's college and kick them out of the home before they can find a job (which may be hard these days) or if they are working nearby, does not make any sense. Yet this is the tradition in the US and what the boomer believe should be applied to the younger generation.

I do think that the millennial should be realistic about what education means, and shouldn't waste their time on useless degrees that won't ever pay back the student loan, that they should try not to take too much risk and expect the society to guarantee them a better future. That guarantee started with boomer but ended with gen X. I guess gen X got lucky. They do need a hard lesson to learn that the world is not fair and blaming the boomer isn't going to solve the problem, and they need to find a way instead of blaming the boomer for everything.

Whatever, people will find ways to the future one way or another.

Last edited:
No I read it... It's not "Some" it's the majority that have their heads screwed on right.

It's "Some" that don't have their heads screwed on right.

OR, maybe that's your experience, that might or might not be as extensive as mine, in the USA in particular.

I stand by my comments, based solely on what I've seen all over this country.

Originally Posted by 02SE
21.gif

I'd be curious to know if those pity-party-for-Millenials articles, were written by...Millenials. Or Maybe a parent of a Millenial, that is hoping that one day they'll quit playing video games, leave the basement, and find a job. I know a few parents of Millenials who are reallllly hoping for that miraculous day.

Occasionally they ask my advice, and I tell them they know what they need to do.

I will add that SOME Millenials have their heads on straight, have a good work ethic, and know that nothing is just going to be handed to them.

Joining the military and being an adult is better than playing Xbox in mommy's basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back