Supertech ST9688 C&P, 2,096 miles

This is a Supertech ST9688 from my mom's 2018 Kia Soul.

32,651 miles on vehicle, 2,096 miles/6 months on filter (warranty reasons).

I think it looks great overall.

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8504.JPG

IMG_8505.JPG

IMG_8506.JPG

IMG_8507.JPG

also did a little video of cutting it.

I was going to buy one of these to put on my mom's 2008 Odyssey, but I don't like the extra wide tapered gasket I don't like the idea of part of the gasket sticking off the oil filter adapter plate, I'm surprised walmart hasn't marked the price on these up, they're still the same price as the rest of the ST filters but the PH9688 is like $9 and the Kia/Hyundai OEM filters are kinda steep at $7, so I just got the proper orange can for the car.

Any filter will look good after just 2000 miles. The media looks good but I just don't like the plastic cages on the ST's.

Quite being a panzy and tighten that cutter properly before starting your cutting....

:LOL:

Just messing with ya.

You did a very good job on the video.

Hope you are doing good man.

Looks good. I’m guessing same oil and filter back in?

Thank You
It was actually this Champ filter that went on.
I have been lazy and this filter had been taken off back in September, I had a pan with 9 filters in it that needed to be cut. I did about half of them yesterday, will do the rest sometime soon.

Her car will be getting Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 and a Champ COS3593a filter for 3 more changes.
I will swap back to the ST9688 when I am out of the Champ filters.

Any filter will look good after just 2000 miles. The media looks good but I just don't like the plastic cages on the ST's.
Yeah, no way was this a test of the filters life. At the time I was going to stick with a 6 month interval for warranty, but decided it is just not something I am that worried about.

I have no issues with the e-core center tube. I know there were issues with it 20 years ago when it came out, but they have it figured out now.
Heck, most cartridge filters now days are plastic cage type, and no failures of those that I have heard of.

My only issue with the ST filters are some of them have the combo valve for the ADV and bypass. I am sure they work, but I just don't like it (but I do use the ST2 with a combo valve on my brother in laws F150).

Last edited:
I just bought the 10K mile ST 9688 (white can) to try based on the positive comments here ... My OCI is 4K miles / 5 months .

I just bought the 10K mile ST 9688 (white can) to try based on the positive comments here ... My OCI is 4K miles / 5 months .
It will do everything you need it to at a very inexpensive price.
A well build filter with better than OEM filtering that is usually readily available at most every Walmart.

As I have said, these will be my go-to filter for my Hyundai/Kia vehicles that they fit.

A well build filter with better than OEM filtering that is usually readily available at most every Walmart.

As I have said, these will be my go-to filter for my Hyundai/Kia vehicles that they fit.
“better than OEM filtering” ?

I had never heard that before. How was that determined?

“better than OEM filtering” ?

I had never heard that before. How was that determined?
Official published data from filter makers.

Don't remember exact numbers off my head, but seem to remember that the OEM Hyundai/Kia filters were like 99% @ 50 microns, and Fram TG is 99% @ 20 microns.
We don't know what the OEM does @ 20 microns, but I know at some point I read about an extrapolation that is was like 60% at 20 microns?
The term "rock catcher" comes from filters that have poor filtration numbers, since they filter the large particles that cause catastrophic failures, but not the fine material that can wear down an engine over time.

I like how Champ Labs extended the sealing gasket to the OD of the filter on this application. Normally a narrow gasket, and depending on filter location, a fair amount of crud can get caught in the groove outer edge of gasket.

The MP series, nice readily available filter to grab at WM if you're just looking to pick a filter and go. Reasonable price, silicone adbv, made in the US.

This one looks good. Thanks for c&p.

Official published data from filter makers.

Don't remember exact numbers off my head, but seem to remember that the OEM Hyundai/Kia filters were like 99% @ 50 microns, and Fram TG is 99% @ 20 microns.
We don't know what the OEM does @ 20 microns, but I know at some point I read about an extrapolation that is was like 60% at 20 microns?
The term "rock catcher" comes from filters that have poor filtration numbers, since they filter the large particles that cause catastrophic failures, but not the fine material that can wear down an engine over time.
Well yikes........I just bought 10 of the OEM filters to use in the "New to us" 2019 Tucson.......

*The ST 9688 then is not a "rock catcher" oil filter and good to know has better filtering than OEM filter .

Back