Supertech ST2 C&P, 1,997 miles

This is a ST2 from my brother in laws 2004 Ford F150, 178,770 miles on truck, 1,997 mile/9 month interval.
Oil was Magnatec 10w-30 blend.
Motor is still shedding metal, is not driven much now due to some medical issues.
Yes, filter is pink, the result of too much time, too many filters and finding a can of pink spray paint.

P1020891.JPG

P1020893.JPG

P1020897.JPG

P1020898.JPG

P1020894.JPG

P1020914.JPG

P1020915.JPG

P1020917.JPG

I have the media drying out and will post pics later.

I put on another ST2 (not painted this time) and some Delo XLE 400 10w-30
full-4879-46280-truck.jpg

Yes I did, and had one on this one as well (see 3rd pic, the spot at the bottom).
It is non'magnetic particles, nothing is stuck to where the magnet was.
Gold and silver colored metal bits, probably brass and aluminum.
It has been doing this since I started changing oil on it 20,000 miles/4 years ago, who knows how long before that.
I keep telling him he is driving a ticking time bomb, but he does not drive it much and says he is not worried about it.

Yes I did, and had one on this one as well (see 3rd pic, the spot at the bottom).
It is non'magnetic particles, nothing is stuck to where the magnet was.
Are you sure they were non magnetic particles? It looks just like the pattern I see where I place my magnet.

Last edited:
Looks identical to the champ ph820s I bough recently. Does the box state a mileage rating?

Thanks. Champ tells me that the ph820 is a 5,000 mile filter but the same filter in a Supertech box is rated to 10,000. Can’t figure that one out. I use them some at work and cut them open and they always look good to me.

Any known reason why they spend money to add that extra plate over the base?
The bypass valve is so simple on these, as long as the rubber works as intended. Pretty smart person in mechanics designed that in such a simple fashion. I could never think of something as creative as that. It also gives a path for bypass that doesn’t touch the clean side.

Any known reason why they spend money to add that extra plate over the base?
The bypass valve is so simple on these, as long as the rubber works as intended. Pretty smart person in mechanics designed that in such a simple fashion. I could never think of something as creative as that. It also gives a path for bypass that doesn’t touch the clean side.
It is part of the combo valve design.
I don't trust combo ADBV/bypass valves.
I won't say I don't trust them, but I would rather not use them.
That said, this is the only filter my BIL will get as long as I change his oil. I had run ToughGuard and Bosch D+ on it, but not any more.
For the short intervals that I do and the fact that this motor is going to grenade at some point, I see no reason to worry about filter features.

I don't trust combo ADBV/bypass valves.
I don't either, for some reason. Just seems like too mush of a "compromise" .....
If you run the filter in the summer when a bypass event would be rare due to warmer oil, it shouldn't be of too much concern.

I think this particular combo valve is fine as long as the rubber doesn't harden up. They did spend a lot of time and money inventing it and by now it should be pretty perfected as to how it works. I like this one, because it keeps the dirty side of the filter isolated from bypass events.

I think this particular combo valve is fine as long as the rubber doesn't harden up. They did spend a lot of time and money inventing it and by now it should be pretty perfected as to how it works. I like this one, because it keeps the dirty side of the filter isolated from bypass events.
Just because it works does not mean I have to like it. ;)

As obvious by me having used this one and replacing it with the same, I will use them, but not a first choice for most vehicles.
For a dollar more, I would pick an orange can Fram with a regular dome button bypass.
Either way, I would bet none of my vehicles go into bypass on an even occasional basis since I use 0W or 5W oil for most vehicles with canister filters, and temps around here only get below freezing for a few days a year.
Even the 10w-30 in this truck now is fine with all the 90°F+ days here lately.
Heck, I just checked the mileage in the truck yesterday, and it has been driven 182 miles since I did the oil change on July 7.

Back