Supertech filters: any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw these as WalMart, right next to the Fram filter...except they cost even less.

There is a cutout picture on the side of the box, and it shows a metal cap for the filter media, not cardboard; so that gives it one better feature than the Fram filters.

They are black; which I don't care for: it would make it hard to see a leak, if there was one.

Anyways, since my income went down 45% from 2009 to 2010, I'm always looking for a way to save some money.

If these aren't any good, I'd sure like to know what IS a good, inexpensive brand...and WHERE to buy them, too.

Thanks, guys.

They are OK some have the plastic ecore design. If you are running 3-5k intervals you should be OK. Are you near an AAP? I would much rather use a purolator Classic. I used to get my oil at WM, but I have found they just can't beat the monthly specials at AAP.

Sorry back to topic ST filters are adequate.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
They are OK some have the plastic ecore design. If you are running 3-5k intervals you should be OK. Are you near an AAP? I would much rather use a purolator Classic. I used to get my oil at WM, but I have found they just can't beat the monthly specials at AAP.

Sorry back to topic ST filters are adequate.

What's AAP?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Motorcraft are decent. Pure 1 I like as well. I use the Super Tech filters for Auto-RX runs. They are OK.

Where do you buy the filters you listed?

AAP = Advance Auto Parts. Motorcraft or Purolator are better for the money, I think. Walmart sells Motorcraft and Supertech, AAP sells Motorcraft and Purolator.

Motorcraft is better regardless of price if you own a Ford- Best $3.97 you can spend.

For people saying its the Motorcraft is basically a purolater classic I have both for my Mustang and the Motorcraft has a lot more heft- If nothing else it feels quite a bit more solid than the Pure Classic

In my opinion, whether SuperTech would get my money depends on the application. In the smaller sizes, they do not use the e-core design and use a more conventional metal-canned element, similar in nature to the Purolator. The smaller SuperTechs have a decent coil spring bypass valve in the dome end of the can, and a conventional rubber anti-drainback valve that seems to work well. I've used this filter (ST7317, which is a smaller size not using the e-core design) on my Acura a few times and it seems to be running just fine. I cut one open after a 4,000 mile oil change and it looked great inside. Could have easily gone double the miles.

Basically agree with above post and smaller ST filters. That said, having cut open and posted pics of an ST7317, it's no media area leader. And, for the ST's ~2.86 one can now get a better imo, more efficient Classic L14610 with 1.50 rebate, for less money. But, if given the choice between the orange can @ ~$4 and and one of the smaller ST's, I'd take the ST.

I see Motorcraft mentioned as an alternative if buying only at Wally. Thing is, Wally only carries limited applications of Mc filters. Also not all Mc's are constructed with thread end bp and silicone adbv like the FL820-S. Others are constructed very similarly to a Classic but with a more nebulous efficiency rating. But, yes the Mc's sold at Wally are value priced and if one could find an Mc app the works it would be a good alternative.

I see you're in the Midwest, do you have a Menards close by. If so they sell Quaker State oil filters which are a Purolator classic clone. I noticed yesterday that they are on sale again for $1.99. Good price for a good filter.

when buying oil and filters, ask urself this question: How much is a new engine compared to the cost of ur oil and filter? IMHO its a thought, if u can afford a 10 dollar filter vs a 3 dollar filter, go for the best u can afford. Im just saying.

If I was trying to save money, I'd be all over the AAP monthly oil change deal. $33 for an oil change that'll last you up to a year, depending on the car.

I don't think that SuperTech filters have ever been mentioned in this forum before. Therefore, the search function would be useless...

Please try to FIND the information that's ALREADY OUT THERE before posting.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I don't think that SuperTech filters have ever been mentioned in this forum before. Therefore, the search function would be useless...

You've got to use the emoticons, or else no one will know whether you're being sarcastic!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Basically agree with above post and smaller ST filters. That said, having cut open and posted pics of an ST7317, it's no media area leader. And, for the ST's ~2.86 one can now get a better imo, more efficient Classic L14610 with 1.50 rebate, for less money. But, if given the choice between the orange can @ ~$4 and and one of the smaller ST's, I'd take the ST.

I see Motorcraft mentioned as an alternative if buying only at Wally. Thing is, Wally only carries limited applications of Mc filters. Also not all Mc's are constructed with thread end bp and silicone adbv like the FL820-S. Others are constructed very similarly to a Classic but with a more nebulous efficiency rating. But, yes the Mc's sold at Wally are value priced and if one could find an Mc app the works it would be a good alternative.

The Walmarts in my area don't carry ANY Motorcraft filters at all, and have just started to carry the Supertech oil filters.

For many years, all Walmart carried was Fram filters; nothing else.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
If I was trying to save money, I'd be all over the AAP monthly oil change deal. $33 for an oil change that'll last you up to a year, depending on the car.

The nearest Advanced Auto Parts store to me is a 30 mile round trip. I would have to buy a lot of stuff to justify driving that far.

I didn't know they even existed in my city, until I Googled them. I get the newspaper, but I've never seen an ad for them, nor a 'monthly special', either in print, or via a radio or TV ad.

I go over the Sunday newspapers very closely, looking for 'good deals' to try to save money.

A $33 oil change is far from a 'good deal' for me, when I can do it my self for so much less, using dino oil.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I did try the search function.I either got no hits at all, or so many, it was impossible to sort through them.

Do a search on 'best filter' or 'best oil filter' and see what turns up.

I WILL check the filters at Menards; because they aren't too far away, and $$1.99 is certainly within my budget.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
when buying oil and filters, ask urself this question: How much is a new engine compared to the cost of ur oil and filter? IMHO its a thought, if u can afford a 10 dollar filter vs a 3 dollar filter, go for the best u can afford. Im just saying.

I put 284,000 miles on a 1988 Honda Civic Wagon, using Castrol, and nothing but Fram filters.

I sold the car because of rust, but I did a compression test about a year before I sold it. When it was new, it had 175 PSI in all four cylinders.

At over 250,000 miles, it had 165psi +/- 2or 3 psi.

Everybody here hates Fram filters, but I've never had any kind of trouble with them, of any kind.

But I am trying to find an economical alternative.

And I'm never, EVER going to spend $10 on an oil filter, and $5- $6/quart for synthetic oil.

Why should I, when my own experience shows me I don't need to?

If you can afford to build a little oil & filter stash, there's really no reason you can't do $12 oil changes. In the last couple of months, O'Reilly's has had Quaker State GB & Mobil Super on sale for $1.99/qt, add those Quaker State filters from Menard's, and you've got yourself a $12 change on average.

That's what I've been doing.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Let's put things into perspective: my budget for food is $40/month. Some months, quite a bit less.

If I buy a $10 OIL FILTER, that means I have about $30 that month for food.

I wonder if you would be buying $10 oil filters, if you lost 45% of your income.

I sort of doubt it. /sarcasm/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back