Supertech 5W-20 (Conventional)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: RyanGreener
What kind of properties/OCI should I expect with this stuff? Got 5 qts for 9 bucks the other day at Wally World.

Just don't drop any power bait into the fill hole and you will be fine. You wouldn't do such a thing, would you?

"Power bait"?

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
SuperTech oil is a good choice for your old beater (any oil is better than no oil) but never use it in something new or nice, or it will become a beater.

You have no basis or facts to back up your comment.So it is irrelevent.

That being said, I have used most weights of STech and have had NO issues. Use it with confidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
SuperTech oil is a good choice for your old beater (any oil is better than no oil) but never use it in something new or nice, or it will become a beater.

Wrong
ST is as good as any conventional oil for a 5-6000 mile run.
New or old cars.

^^Correct^^

Super Tech is as good as any oil brand including Mobile, Valvoline, Pennzoil ECT ... for any mile run of any amount of miles, suggested by the engine manufacturer using the proper API in the owners manual.
Super Tech is no different then any other oil in here.

AS far as the comments on extended OCI, well, that is snake oil to me. Why would anyone cheap out on extending oil change intervals past the recommended intervals in the owners manual and justify it by using a more expensive oil that is not proven in any way superior to a less expensive oil?
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251

This is in the running for the most worthless/false comment on this forum.

The crowd stands and cheers, the applause is deafening, the un-washed masses scream for more ---- SuperTech! SuperTech! SuperTech!
Release the lions, off with his filter, the Great and Mighty Oil Lord of the Opinion has spoken!

This comment has now taken first place.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: Dallas69

Wrong
ST is as good as any conventional oil for a 5-6000 mile run.
New or old cars.

^^Correct^^

Super Tech is as good as any oil brand including Mobile, Valvoline, Pennzoil ECT ... for any mile run of any amount of miles, suggested by the engine manufacturer using the proper API in the owners manual.
Super Tech is no different then any other oil in here.

AS far as the comments on extended OCI, well, that is snake oil to me. Why would anyone cheap out on extending oil change intervals past the recommended intervals in the owners manual and justify it by using a more expensive oil that is not proven in any way superior to a less expensive oil?
21.gif

They put 15k or 20k on the bottle? They have Porsche and MB et al? Should of left this at for average length runs

I wouldn't use it at anything below freezing because of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc&t=4s
Yeah, oil's pressurized in the engine, but imagine how much harder the oil pump has to work to pump it if if gets like this. I don't see the benefit in saving a few bucks on ST when you can get a quality premium conventional like PYB, GTX, VWB or Mobil Super. Just because it meets SN doesn't make it a saint, not in my book, anyway!

As far as OCI length, I personally wouldn't run it beyond what the engine manufacturer recommends. That goes for any conventional. Ask yourself, at $9, is it really worth trying to stretch it out?

Last edited:
Pour point tests don't tell you about how an oil actually performs in the cold. If SuperTech is a 5w-30, it will perform as a 5w-XX, and given that their 5w-30 is an ILSAC variety, it'll leapfrog the MRV and CCS requirements handily, even in conventional.

hooked.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great point kschachn. And I agree. That was epic
lol.gif

too easy......like fish in a barrel

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I wouldn't use it at anything below freezing because of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc&t=4s

"Below freezing" is a far cry from what they show there: -40 degrees (interestingly enough, in both F _and_ C). From freezing point to what they're demonstrating there, we're talking a difference of 72 degrees F and 40 degrees C.

Having said that, If I lived in an area that regularly experienced sub-zero temps during the winter, I'd be much more likely to run a synthetic in winter.

Yeah, oil's pressurized in the engine, but imagine how much harder the oil pump has to work to pump it if if gets like this. I don't see the benefit in saving a few bucks on ST when you can get a quality premium conventional like PYB, GTX, VWB or Mobil Super. Just because it meets SN doesn't make it a saint, not in my book, anyway!

Premium or not, running any conventional during -40 degree weather is going to give you very similar results to what was shown in that test. If you notice, the other 3 oils in that head-to-head were all synthetics. Only the SuperTech was a conventional, which placed it at a significant disadvantage, and it showed. Here in Phoenix, I'll contend that the SuperTech will hold its own for a standard 5-6k OCI against the other conventional oils you list above.

As far as OCI length, I personally wouldn't run it beyond what the engine manufacturer recommends. That goes for any conventional. Ask yourself, at $9, is it really worth trying to stretch it out?

Manufacturer-recommended OCI is a good starting point, IMHO, but I let my engine, along with regular UOAs, dictate what is best for my driving habits. I regularly run 7,500 mile OCIs, many going farther than that, and I wouldn't hesitate to run ST if I needed to.

... I'd have to work through all the oil currently in my stash, however, before I got around to that. Might be a while.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back