Super tech oil worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My craftsman tractor uses ST 10w30 syn. I just put ST HM 10w30 in the Maxima. So far so good. There is also a ST HM syn I might try depending on consumption.

I would pay far more attention to the MRV values than any pour point test when choosing an oil. RP's 15w-40 in CI-4+ had a pour point of something like -45 C. I wouldn't try to start a vehicle with it at -45 C, though.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Tons of threads on this same subject.

He's been here over 5 years and has over 3 THOUSAND posts and asks the question that is posted here twice a day for a decade. Makes you wonder what the other 3 THOUSAND posts are about.

Well stated NormanBuntz. Low priced oils like Havoline DS, Formula Shell, VWB, Mobil Super, Castrol Ultraclean, PYB are just fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc&t=13s
Personally, I wouldn't use it in anything unless you live in a real temperate climate. This cold pour test is enough to convince me to never buy that stuff!

Rather than going by what some dood on the web thinks is a right cool “test” I suggest you instead rely on the winter rating (W) appropriate for your expected starting conditions. It makes a lot more sense. Really it does.

Really.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
You've been here for a few years and yet you ask this question?

He's not asking the question because he doesn't know.

It is made by different vendors in different markets. If you buy it from a store in a state with an even number of letters in it's name, on an odd day of the month, with an even LOT# on the bottle, it should be good.

ST is good oil. I used it before and will use it again. If you want a gas rated oil I would go with Chevron supreme 10/30 for your truck.WM has it for $12.42/5 qts. If your store does not have it you can order it and have it shipped free to the store or get 3 5 qts containers and have it shipped free to your house. Win, win.

If it meets api SN and has the starburst on the bottle then it’s good oil. If it is dexos1 then it is good thin oil. If it’s dexos2 it’s good thick oil.

It’s pretty hard to buy bad oil today. You have to find one of those red flagged by pqia oils bottled by greasy old men behind the gas station to get a bad oil.

For gas engines, for a 5k oci, any oil+filter you can find at Walmart will be fine.

The exceptions would be racing, and diesels need to have the the api CK-4 I think it is to be suitable for a Diesel engine.

Point is, the standards have gotten high enough that is a real challenge to differentiate between the brands. They’ll have different approaches to meet those standards, but it’s all 90% marketing now.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Ram02
I thought super tech cause varnish?

Diabetes.

I thought baldness? I started using the stuff, and realized I was more bald afterwards than when I started.

I wouldn’t have any problem using Super Tech but I had to share this (below). I was on Walmart’s website reading about ST 5W-20 Synthetic and the “About” was comical-

“Give your engine the care it deserves with the Super Tech Full Synthetic Oil. This product is made to provide increased protection for tough driving situations. This automotive oil has a premium formulation that uses 100 percent synthetic base oils and a high-performance additive system. It contains a performance booster that shields against sludge and varnish formation, so your engine stays clean longer. The Super Tech motor oil is built to perform on both low and high temperatures. Compatible with leading conventional and synthetic engine brands, this full synthetic motor oil comes in a 5-quart bottle. Whether you're a do-it-yourself mechanic or are having your oil changed by a car care professional, you will appreciate the high performance of this heavy-duty oil. Try it in your hard-working vehicle and hit the road with the confidence that you're protecting your engine. Try Super Tech full synthetic oil and enjoy the protective performance of this 5W20 oil.”

Brilliant writing!

I noticed the bottles Changed. I bought 10w30 which was still the wpp bottle but the 5w20 and 5w30 was a different bottle I didn't recognize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back