Super Tech 10W-30, 2768 OCI, Isuzu Rodeo4x4 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis by Blackstone labs
2000 Isuzu Rodeo S 4X4 V6 3.2L
53,954 miles on engine, 2768 miles on oil.
Walmarts Super Tech Oil 10W-30, Super Tech Filter ST3593
Air Filter Fram

Code:

Aluminum 1

Chromium 1

Iron 4

Copper 1

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 1

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 7

Silicone 5

Sodium 0

Calcium 2145

Magnesium 10

Phosphorus 689

Zinc 896

Barium 0

TBN 2.4

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 55.3

Flashpoint 385

Fuel% .5

Antifreeze 0

Water 0

Insolubles .3

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...nice. Nothing fancy, just gets the job done!

Why such a short OCI? Could have gone 4-5k, most likely.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Wow...nice. Nothing fancy, just gets the job done!

Why such a short OCI? Could have gone 4-5k, most likely.

+1
welcome2.gif

Welcome to BITOG!

I had a short OCI because the oil was in the engine about 6 months and it was 1 qt low, I figured if I was going to add 1 qt I should just go ahead and do the complete change!

Originally Posted By: Rodeoguy
I had a short OCI because the oil was in the engine about 6 months and it was 1 qt low, I figured if I was going to add 1 qt I should just go ahead and do the complete change!

I agree completely!

Carry on!

Originally Posted By: steve20
less than 3K miles with a TBN of 2.4 raises not one eyebrow

21.gif

It did...

Under 3K miles and I note...

The bad:

-dropped out of grade (into 20)

-TBN lowish. This looks like a Blackstone report and they usually read lower on TBN than other labs for some reason, which is why they will let them run close to 1 without a worry. Plus, you need to compare starting and ending TBNs (as tested by the same lab) to make a good judgement on it. Probably this comment should be in the "meh" catagory

- kinda high insolubles .3

- touch hi on the fuel

The Good:

-very low metals

Was it the relatively high fuel that helped to drop a 10W30 out of grade. Not that running in a high 20 grade is anything to worry about by itself, especially given the low metals, it's just that 10W30 is one of the more shear stable oils out there these days and we don't often see them drop that far into 20 grade territory so quickly.

If this were my report, I wouldn't be moaning in ecstasy, nor would I be moaning in anguish. I guess you got what you paid for.

Last edited:
I would like to note:

On this oil sample I Drove multiple 3 hour trips, 80 MPH ave speed, (90mph top speed). Had maybe 50 miles of dirt roads in there. I also had a fuel pump problem with low fuel pressure which required excessive cranking to start the engine. I have noticed oil consumption when I do the long higher speed trips but non in the stop and go city driving. Half of the miles here are stop & go city and half long high speed highway. The previous oil change I had 5w-30 in there for the winter months.

Last edited:
Guys....2700 miles in six months involves a fair bit of repeated short trips, as the OP points out above.

Add to that the fuel pump problems he is having, and this reports looks even better - multiple short trips, with excess fuel dilution, and we still have a TBN over 2?

I'd say the ST oil did great, especially for an 'econo' oil!

One other note-

I bought the 2000 Rodeo New, I took a leap of faith and have used Walmarts Super Tech oil from day 1. Oil changes were always at 3000 - 3500 miles.

I have nothing against ST oil. It's perfectly adequate at the OCI it's being used for. The only issue that brings me pause is the drop out of grade. I don't know much about the Rodeo's 3.2L engine and whether or not it's a shear monster, but if the fuel shown on the UOA is representative, it doesn't seem like enough on its own to shear the oil that much. I would imagine it's a combination of fuel dilution and the bargain VIIs Warren, or whomever blended the oil for that batch, used in the oil.

Rodeoguy is doing the right thing with the short intervals, given the effects noted on his UOA... whatever their cause.

Before I make my next pontification, let me first point out that I'm not a boutique oil kinda guy generally and a bargain hunter. I personally see the best value in the upper middle price range mineral oils. I just ponder if Rodeoguy is gone too far into the low cost area. I would wonder if a step or two up the price range wouldn't bring a better result over a longer interval. Would be a number crunching kinda thing. Is is more cost effective to go up a little and run the oil longer or use the cheaper oil at a shorter interval?

I thought ST oil had a boat load of moly in it--? maybe it's a regional thing.
Now that ST is approaching or equal to a name brand like VWB or PYB, why not use a name brand for 5K? You would save the cost of the price of 1 filter every 2 OCIs, and be assured of adequate protection as well

Jim,

You have given me something to ponder. But I would like to point out that after 54,000 miles on the Isuzu Rodeo, my UOA could not be better as far as engine wear, correct? Super Tech is API approved and carries the starburst logo, I really don't think my engine could be in better condition even if I were useing ANY other oil. Thanks for your input.

Steve20,

ST oil at last check is $10.88 for 5qt jug in the USA. Maybe it is time to price the other brands. ST filters I believe cost $2.09, but I had a stock of them and paid 1.43 each. It cost me more to run the garage lights then it does for a filter, ha ha. As far as being assured of adequate protection, I am already assured of adequate protection with the ST oil, I did UOA to prove it to myself.

Thanks for everyones input, but My baby is gone. She was adopted by another loving family. It was just not fair to her to keep her sitting around in the garage while the new car gets all the attention. I loved my Isuzu Rodeo, if I could post a picture of her I would. At the time of transfer she had provided me about 73,843 miles of joyful pleasure over the last 10 1/2 years. I had planed on another UOA at 75,000 just to see how she was doing but obviously it doesn't matter anymore.

UP HERE IN THE NORTHEAST, SUPERTECH CONVENTIONAL IS BASICALLY THE SAME OIL AS THE NEW MOBIL SPECIAL THAT REPLACES EXXON SUPERFLOW.
THE SYNTHETIC AND HIGH MILEAGE VARIANTS ARE WPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back