Sun Dogs

The photo in the linked Wiki article is better than mine, but in person these sun dogs are quite beautiful. The experience is marred a bit, though, by the knowledge that you usually see sun dogs only when it's brutally cold.

Anyway, spotted these when leaving the Y a few days ago:

20220118_163819.jpg
20220118_163858_Burst01.jpg

Photos were taken around 4:38 p.m. A few weeks earlier, and the sun would have already set 10 minutes before.

Today it's not setting until 5:05 p.m. - we're gaining over 2-1/2 minutes of daylight per day now! We've just passed through the statistically coldest stretch of the winter (based on long-term averages), January 15 - 18. The temperature lags the sun by about four weeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

Sun dogs are exactly 22 degrees from the sun, due to the refraction angle of the ice crystals in the upper atmosphere that cause them.

I’ve seen them skiing, flying, and of course, living on the prairie in Winnipeg (where it gets pretty cold).

Sun dogs are exactly 22 degrees from the sun, due to the refraction angle of the ice crystals in the upper atmosphere that cause them.

I’ve seen them skiing, flying, and of course, living on the prairie in Winnipeg (where it gets pretty cold).
They're probably spectacular when seen from an aircraft!

We all know that's some sort of supernatural ghost UFO flying quasar from another dimension thing.

I see sundogs often in the afternoon . Usually I see one, sometimes two parhelia, on occasion in combination with a halo around the sun.

As a pilot you have probably even see the Brocken spectre of your plane when flying above the clouds. I've see the Brocken spectre of myself when skiing above the clouds. It's a very strange phenomenon.

Back