Summary paper on vehicle efficiency technologies and regulation

Did not read as the article is too long, but I was alive & kicking when DAF 1st introduced the CVT in its cars. It was done so that small cc engine would be able to have an automatic as the normal auto tranny of the times required more hp than these small engines could handle together with the weight of the car. Because of this "efficiency" it uses less fuel and when the "fleet mpg" parameter was introduced it became very important to manufacturers, not so much to individual users where the economy is a very low % This in a nutshell. ;)

Did not read as the article is too long, but I was alive & kicking when DAF 1st introduced the CVT in its cars. It was done so that small cc engine would be able to have an automatic as the normal auto tranny of the times required more hp than these small engines could handle together with the weight of the car. Because of this "efficiency" it uses less fuel and when the "fleet mpg" parameter was introduced it became very important to manufacturers, not so much to individual users where the economy is a very low % This in a nutshell. ;)
You didn't read the whole thing yet? Its only 444 pages... I only skimmed through a few parts that I was interested in but I think its a good reference, if you want to look up something specific in the future.

Back