Suggestions needed for a black material......

The cloth covering of my A pillars has begun to peel.
I want to recover them with a flat black finish.
I'm open to whatever will cover evenly and last. Since the covers are removable, I can prep them for primer and paint, if so desired.
More likely, covering them with black cloth is what I'll do.

Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA

The cloth is peeling off? Is dabbing some contact cement and putting back into place ok, or do you want to remove and redo completely?

Check out a few sewing stores or WalMart that sells cloth. I'll bet you'll find something suitable. Maybe even black felt would work.

I don't think felt will stretch and hug curves well.

A Google search of "A Pillar Fabric" brings up tons of hits. I.E., Hobby Lobby shows headliner fabric:

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies.
Just got back from errands and a Jo-Ann Fabric store was on the way.
They have outdoor/UV resistant fabrics (incl. a solid contender in black) as well as black suede.
Either looked like they'd do the job but I didn't do a stretch & flex test.
I'll get the covers off and inspected before buying any fabric or paint. I'm leaning heavily towards fabric over paint.
I like the texture of felt too but have no idea if felt lasts in hot sunlight.

MAN! Do they have a selection fabrics.

One solid answer is always Alcantara. A form of microsuede or ultrasuede microfiber. It is commonly used in high end sports car interiors.

It is typically installed with a light coat on both sides, using 3M 1357 glue, sprayed from a spray gun.

P90249186_highRes_the-new-bmw-5-series.jpg

You may want to consider flocking your interior piece. Once the trim has been cleaned and prepped, just spray on some adhesive and evenly distribute the powdered material. You will be left with a matte finish and non-reflective surface (like felt).

Reactions: D60
Back