Subaru turbo filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and didn't notice any discussion of this.

I guess I hadn't been following too closely when Subaru changed the supplier for their turbo model filters in 2008. I had a stash of their original turbo filter (15208AA80) that I used for years in my 2004 WRX, and bought a few of their replacement models (15208AA100) that lasted until my last oil change. These were high quality filters made for Subaru in Japan by some small company called Tokyo Roki (not to be confused with Toyo Roki). They were a bit smaller than the standard Subaru filter and were reportedly indestructible. The alleged reason for the smaller size was to get a little more clearance from the exhaust manifold that surrounds the filter mount/oil cooler on the turbo models. I guess now the replacement is made in Canada by Honeywell using Fram materials. I'm not putting that in my car.

So - any recommendations? I was thinking maybe I'd find a Purolator PureOne. They don't seem to have a smaller version for turbos, but I suppose it would fit. I saw a recommendation for a Wix filter for the same application.

I consistantly use with good results Mobil 1 M110 oil filters, they are oversized and worked\work great on my 04 STi and now the 09.

I would make sure that any filter used, that it meets the factory spec. I believe Subaru specs a higher than usual pressure relieve valve setting. Something like 22 psig?

Quote:
I did a search and didn't notice any discussion of this.

You missed SuperBusa's and my slug-fest (watch out when he mentions "hot oil").
LOL.gif
I have to concede that the Subie's have some radical wicked volume output for the turbo's compared to ..heck ..just about anything else out there.

The need for a higher bypass setting that the OEM specifies is due to this application actually being able to make the filter part of the equation in terms of resistance. It's typically invisible outside of relief events ..but if you're over a certain rpm ..you will raise the PSID higher than is typically seen. Loading would exacerbate this situation, but I think that you're limited in your OCI, iirc (don't know about model specific OCI's).

The Donaldson P502067 has an 11-17 bypass setting, which I think Purolator would too (confirmed @ 14-18). Wix prescribes their 51365, which has their 8-11 psi bypass.

Baldwin has a 14PSI bypass valve and all the numbers (your second OEM, 51365, PL or L14612) all work out to a B1400. They reference "longer versions" (B1402/B1431) which also use the 14psi bypass.

The issue isn't an issue for 90% of your driving experience. A longer filter would sensibly reduce this condition ..or so I reason.

Toyo Roki is hardly a small company - they are a OEM to Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki as well. Yamama does business with Denso via the Toyota connection.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Toyo Roki is hardly a small company - they are a OEM to Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki as well. Yamama does business with Denso via the Toyota connection.

Didn't I say "not to be confused with Toyo Roki"?
wink.gif

Toyko Roki (not sure what "togehter to the trees of rich grace." means) - headquartered in Yokohama (why not Tokyo?):
http://www.roki.co.jp/english/salutation.html

Toyo Roki (Now officially just "Roki") - headquartered in Hamamatsu:
http://www.roki-jp.com/english/index.html

The longer purolator will be my choice once my stash of the ToKyo Roki filters run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back