Subaru Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hillclimber

This would seem to reference a Forester, not a Crosstrek.

I think he has a hard on with Subarus. He is into his CX-5

BTW never heard more about the 14% failure rate of Crosstreks' CVTs
21.gif

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by hillclimber

This would seem to reference a Forester, not a Crosstrek.

I think he has a hard on with Subarus. He is into his CX-5

Forester, Crosstrek... Looks the same to me.
smile.gif

It's kinda like an apple fanboy moving to intel. It's a whole new, bright world.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

I'd buy a Forester over a Mazda or a CRV in a heartbeat, as we have, twice.

Did you drive a 2016 or newer CX-5 before you purchased the Forester?

I drove the Forester, Outback, and CrossTrek, before buying the CX-5 and Outback. The Forester was a noisy, harsh riding, cheap interior, box. The CrossTrek was just like my Imp, except higher.

I don't care what people end up buying. I *do* care that I try to help them make an intelligent decision. I haven't told anyone to buy the CX-5. I told everyone to *drive* one.

my sister has a 16 crosstrek and not a fan of it
-underpowered
-cheap interior feel
-very sloppy handling
-very loud engine...
-cvt is lurchy

I would get a HRV or cx3 instead

I drove the Forester The Forester was a noisy, harsh riding, cheap interior, box.

Suuuure you did.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
I drove the Forester The Forester was a noisy, harsh riding, cheap interior, box.

Suuuure you did.
smirk.gif

No, I've driven a Forester for nearly five years and I'd agree with their comment. If you want a fancy interior, you shouldn't buy a Subaru, because they spend the money on the mechanical parts, not the gadgets.

A CR-V or one of the other competitors will have more gadgets and a better ride and less noise for the same money. But I wouldn't take those vehicles a lot of places where I don't think twice about taking the Forester.

And given the amount of mud smeared across the Forester's interior at the moment, a fancy one would have been a waste of money.

Originally Posted by bobdoo

I drove the Forester, Outback, and CrossTrek, before buying the CX-5 and Outback. The Forester was a noisy, harsh riding, cheap interior, box. The CrossTrek was just like my Imp, except higher.

I don't care what people end up buying. I *do* care that I try to help them make an intelligent decision. I haven't told anyone to buy the CX-5. I told everyone to *drive* one.

I drove all the CUVs and the CX-5 is not significantly better driving experience. It is seriously overrated in that aspect. It's still felt like a $30k CUV which all are pretty decent. The turbo one might be a little more interesting but it's nipping on the toes of premium CUVs price which drive better but cost more.

I would reply but then 'subaru al' would get incensed.

Oh, what the [censored]!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It might be that I went from driving the Impreza, intending to buy the CrossTrek, then driving the CX-5, that made my experience so much better than yours. I didn't bother to drive the toyota, honda, nissan, etc.

The CX-5 is a sports car compared to the Imp and 2012 Outback, which I despise. I still think my 5 speed manual 2000 Outback was the most satisfying, fun car to drive, on -1 tires, and with an exhaust port-back header from down under. It would lean like crazy in hard turns, but it stuck and clearly communicated tire limits.

Interiors have been mentioned but I did find what I considered a big difference in seating comfort between my 2014 XV Crosstrek and my 2016 Forester. Both were base models with some options, but base seating. I liked the seating fabric better in my XV, but the seat pan and back were smaller and more thinly padded than the Forester front seats. The Crosstrek also seemed to have a support bar across the seat pan that made your arse sore after awhile. No such issues in the Forester.

I realize the seating is probably different now, but I would suggest a decent drive in both to compare.

The base sound system had a better sound to it to me in the Forester as well. Something else to check out.

[/quote]

The Mazda can certainly be bought cheaper, but lacks the Subaru's suspension and ride.
The Forester has great suspension travel and compliance and so delivers a smooth ride over the roughest surfaces, Not so with the Mazda.
Mazda cars are also unbelievably prone to rust.
Let's not even talk about the AWD systems, since nobody would regard Mazda's as being in the same league as Subaru's.
Overall, the Mazda seems to have little to recommend it over the Forester,
Your opinion might be different, but if I were stuck in a Mazda, I might try to convince myself that I'd bought the superior CUV.

There is no question that Subaru makes excellent vehicles. Their awd system is very good. However, others have caught up over the years. The newer predictive awd systems are excellent. Mazda, Audi, and even Kia have such systems as do others. Subaru may have rested on their laurels a bit too long.

Subaru has had some quality control issues lately. In Japan they have been under a series of investigations for this. In fact Subaru just restarted their main Japan assembly plant after a almost two week shutdown because of faulty parts.

When we were shopping for a crossover the Forester was on our short list. In the end the Mazda won for several reasons.

Let's not even talk about the AWD systems, since nobody would regard Mazda's as being in the same league as Subaru's.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. There are a few reviews out there that have put the CX-5 AWD against the Forester and others and the CX-5 was a bit better in the snow on some of the reviews.

I obviously preferred the Forester but I wouldn't be so sure the CX-5 is much behind if at all. It is just different as it requires much more sensors and electronics.

Originally Posted by PimTac
There is no question that Subaru makes excellent vehicles. Their awd system is very good. However, others have caught up over the years. The newer predictive awd systems are excellent. Mazda, Audi, and even Kia have such systems as do others. Subaru may have rested on their laurels a bit too long.

Subaru has had some quality control issues lately. In Japan they have been under a series of investigations for this. In fact Subaru just restarted their main Japan assembly plant after a almost two week shutdown because of faulty parts.

When we were shopping for a crossover the Forester was on our short list. In the end the Mazda won for several reasons.

When did Subaru have better system than Audi? I would like to hear this.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Where did I say that? You misread the comment.

Audi is not infallible.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Where did I say that? You misread the comment.

Audi is not infallible.

In the context of your post it seems you argue that Audi now has AWD to match Subaru's. Never thought Subaru was ever in Audi's league.
Yes, these transverse mounted engine Audi's do not have Torsen, and it seams Audi is trying some vanilla stuff on their Torsen on some models, but Audi was benchmark long before Subaru in AWD world.

Last edited:
vince myself that I'd bought the superior CUV.

Al? Is that you?

lol-no. I am somewhat of a Subaru fanboy bc. I have had 3. a '78, 08, and 18. Subaru has pioneered AWD, Boxer engines, Safety, and turboed engines. Quite a innovative track record for a relatively small company. They have been rewarded by generally being the #1 in vehicle company growth over the last 20 years.

But honestly. ..If others love their vehicles good for them. I am happy Subaru is not a whole lot more popular. They would become less hungry and less successful. I encourage others to buy inferior vehicles. j/k
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back