Stupid torque wrench question

Interesting! It's entirely possible that I never read the directions before using mine... but I'd never admit to that, not publicly.

Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
All the other springs we use like valve springs, door lock cylinder springs, etc, are under tension for sometimes a hundred years. I suppose they weaken. Maybe torque wrenches have another kind of spring. I follow what the tool manual says but wondering. My Husky torque wrench instructions in one place said not needed to reset torque down. If no believe I can take a pic of it. I still turned it down.

Did they change this recently? Mine says it should be set to less than 25% (see screenshot).
[Linked Image]

I had this paper which is the certificate of calibration. Calibrated Sept 24 2019. I see it does say unless for extended period of time which will surely be pointed out. Still it says no need to turn down. Still no mention of why our valve springs and door lock cylinder springs etc last. That was my actual question. It's hard to read but best I can do right now.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
All the other springs we use like valve springs, door lock cylinder springs, etc, are under tension for sometimes a hundred years. I suppose they weaken. Maybe torque wrenches have another kind of spring. I follow what the tool manual says but wondering. My Husky torque wrench instructions in one place said not needed to reset torque down. If no believe I can take a pic of it. I still turned it down.

Did they change this recently? Mine says it should be set to less than 25% (see screenshot).
[Linked Image]

I had that paper and this paper which is the certificate of calibration. Calibrated Sept 24 2019. I see it does say unless for extended time which will surely be pointed out. Still it says no need to turn down, like I said. Still no mention of why our valve springs and door lock cylinder springs etc last. That was my actual question.

Who said the spring in tool tool doesn't last? When was the last time you had your door lock calibrated to compensate for spring deterioration. Engine valve springs do weaken and and do have a discard spec.

@Farnsworth it is interesting that the calibration paper is not entirely consistent with the user manual. They also don't really define "extended" period of time, so I would probably errbon the safe side and adjust it down to 25% of max. But I would sweat it if I forget to do this sometimes!

@Farnsworth it is interesting that the calibration paper is not entirely consistent with the user manual. They also don't really define "extended" period of time, so I would probably errbon the safe side and adjust it down to 25% of max. But I would sweat it if I forget to do this sometimes!

I see the other sheet under my wrench. One says ok to leave it for an unknown time, the other says 25% which is still over 60 on the wrench I am talking about. Sounds they just want people to use common sense and not leave it wound up for three years then bring it back under the unlimited no questions asked warranty. Which some will do anyway. Sometimes it is best not to disturb the opinions on here and ask questions, just let it all go.

Your not asking any questions. What are your questions that have not been answered by someone? You have gone on about lock springs and valve springs that have nothing to do with variable torque tools.

Back