Strut mount up and down movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed while driving through a field road to deer hunt my Saturn sl made a slight noise in the front end. Wasn't very bad but it was one of those sounds you can kind of feel. I checked everything and it's tight! Except I noticed when you push down on the car the nut and washer move away from the rubber where the mount starts. I can put my fingers on the washer and feel the movement to. It's not much maybe 1/16 of an inch. Would this be a sign or is this normal with this style of strut mount ?

Either your strut mount has collapsed (not good) or that nut is loose. Go at it!

PS deer hunting in a Saturn= win.

Obligatory:

cowet6.4813.jpg

How can you tell if they're collapsed and the nuts aren't loose.

GM W bodies do this when lowering springs are used need anti pogo washers to take up the space.
I am not familiar with this car or the strut mounts it uses, it could be the mounts are worn, worn out springs or as others have posted loose nuts.
In any case it doesn't sound normal.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

If you try torquing the nuts and they bottom out but the thing is still loose somehow, you have a bad strut mount etc.

You're going to need something to hold the center shaft from spinning. Sometimes there's an allen wrench hole. Otherwise you might need vise grips.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: ram_man

If you try torquing the nuts and they bottom out but the thing is still loose somehow, you have a bad strut mount etc.

You're going to need something to hold the center shaft from spinning. Sometimes there's an allen wrench hole. Otherwise you might need vise grips.

It doesn't have any play side to side or anything isn't that what most strut mounts do when they fail ?

The springs tend to break on that generation of Saturn. Maybe it is a sign of things to come...

That is why some people just buy strut assemblies when doing struts.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Either your strut mount has collapsed (not good) or that nut is loose. Go at it!

PS deer hunting in a Saturn= win.

Obligatory:

cowet6.4813.jpg

This brings back memories of the few years I lived in a small bedroom community in the country. I saw a Camaro with the glass hatch open and deer hooves hanging out. Before the days of camera phones, or I'd have snagged a shot.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
The springs tend to break on that generation of Saturn. Maybe it is a sign of things to come...

That is why some people just buy strut assemblies when doing struts.

Well I hate to replace them and get the dreaded squeak. But it's just the up and down that concerns me. Their isn't any play Any where it only does it when pushing the car up and down like to do a bounce test.

I bought new Monroe mounts and gabriel struts. Put it all together and it squeaked like [censored]. So I started swapping one piece at a time and guess what it's the bearings they whole bearing assembly is taller than the oem and that Is why they squeak. I took the mounts off and swapped them the originals are still in perfect shape. The struts are the issue. Replaced them and that movement is drastically reduced. It was never a whole lot anyway but now it's all but gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back