strut mount nut does not stay centered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 97 maxima in which the center nut keeps drifting and rubbing the rubber out of the strut mount, I even replaced the mounts thinking it was defective and the same thing occurred after a day of driving. Would the top nut be loose and causing this problem as I dont have an impact so I tighten best I can with a wrench.

I have had to tighter many strut mounts using only a ratchet wrench. You have been sold a defective one. Where did it come from? Some Autozone stores have a recall notice for certain strut mounts.

It came from rock auto which is my warranty replacement of the first one that I installed that was defective as well. Are any kyb mounts recalled?

I had the same issue with using monroe front strut mounts on the stock struts in my Neon. It seems that the strut mount hole is far bigger than the top of the strut.
My fix was to flip the nut on the top of the strut as the top was somewhat conical. Then I put a small taper on the hole in the strut mount so the conical nut stayed centered in the tapered hole. Its worked OK so far.

Sounds like cruddy parts to me. Maybe cruddy design.

Inspection and common sense will provide a cure. It may need modification, like Indylan stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back