Strange Tire Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
time to ditch those tires.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I measured the tread today, they range from 5/32"-6/32".

I wish I rotated and saw this last weekend, I would have ordered tires for the 4th of July sale.

I might see if I can ride it out until the Labor Day sale, but at 115 degrees outside and on the highway it could be a gamble. We'll see what happens I guess.

Just rotated again, 6,550 miles since my last check in 7/8. The first little crack above (that I made the post about) that I said looks the same, might be separating now:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And the 2nd crack that appeared looks the same about:

[Linked Image]

Time for a trip to discount tire. I have been looking the Ohtsu tires they offer. Very similar to Falken Sincera, good for you dry climate and somewhat sporty. $350 installed for 4 16 inch tires.

My kumho 4x tires had a few of those. Sold the car before it was even close to being an issue though.

I think its just your hot climate and driving conditions taking its toll on those tires.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Just rotated again, 6,550 miles since my last check in 7/8. The first little crack above (that I made the post about) that I said looks the same, might be separating now:

[images omitted]

It doesn't appear that the crack is growing - which is good. So, No, I don't think it's separating. Separations would cause the crack to grow.

So the cracks likely originated as road damage.

If it bothers you clean out the crack and apply rubber cement from a tire patch kit, personally though I get those every time my tread gets closer to the wear bars

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by Nick1994

[images omitted]

It doesn't appear that the crack is growing - which is good. So, No, I don't think it's separating. Separations would cause the crack to grow.

So the cracks likely originated as road damage.

The pictures I added at 7/8/18 are of a different crack.

The crack in the original post is also in the picture I just posted on 11/3. But look to the right of it, a new crack formed just to the right.

Is the tire getting a bulge, out of round or a thump?

If not keep an eye on it and line up what you want for replacement but leave it on the rear until it changes

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Is the tire getting a bulge, out of round or a thump?

If not keep an eye on it and line up what you want for replacement but leave it on the rear until it changes

No bulges and it drives smooth. But with this tire on the front it's always pulled a little bit to the side on the freeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back