STP S-3614XL new (CUT OPEN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something called GARBAGE or should say some old newspapers; nothing of significance
grin2.gif

Guys, we need to keep in mind that it's $8.99 at AutoZone, so if this filter was available at Walmart, it would be in the $7 range, so relatively speaking, it's not priced all that bad.

The FRAM Ultra would probably be a better buy, but for those who dislike anything made by FRAM, the STP XL might be a good alternative assuming it is in fact 99% at 20 microns.

I would not hesitate to use this filter at all.

Thank you car51 for the C&P!

Not a 9 buck filter but looks pretty decent to me, other than the debris.
frown.gif
Probably would never see that if cut open after use.

Can you take a measurement on the can thickness? Also I wonder what the ADBV looks like from the side view as assembled in the can, to see how much distance there is for oil to flow. Thanks for sacrificing the new filter. I think it serves a good purpose.

That's strange I thought the can felt pretty tough when I squeezed it in the store. Compared to some filters it's certainly thicker albeit nothing top of the line.

Also the ADBVs are supposed to be soft

901Memphis, yeah it was soft as a MC-910 I cut while ago so that's good. Since I don't have a micrometer; I found that the can thickness is almost as thick as a nail file in all honesty for what it's worth.

Like others have said, efficiency matches a Fram ToughGuard, so just buy a toughguard.

They had it right in 1976 then digressed:

4mYe5LA.jpg

kfVmTsf.jpg

If they could lower the price to within a dollar or so of the tg I'd say this filter would easily be a better buy than tg do to better construction ie a real spring and metal end caps. Same effiencey. Of course we need to see some used ones cut open. Can't see it being worth it at its price when you can get a wix/napagold or mc for much less, both good for 10k as well.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
...and then STP puts a ^^^^^ PINTO in their ad?

Ha! It was a poor choice even for mid-1976 (Popular Mechanics ad, May, 1976), I know, Why not a performance car at least??? (In '77 my friend got a new Pinto, and even as teens we understood it was a POS example of engineering.)
Still, it'd be nice to have that high-filtration "core" piece STP put in there, as long as half the flow went through a lower-restriction path for good flow, as I think they must have done somehow back then!!!

ExMachina - cool STP oil filter ad from the 70s. Pretty high tech for those days.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
ExMachina - cool STP oil filter ad from the 70s. Pretty high tech for those days.
.... And dig that efficiency vs. hours run graph. They say a lot of filters increase in efficiency slightly for a while, then start going down in efficiency. I think its because the pores start a little erosion, opening up while oily/hot over the long term, just guessing though. But, yeah, what happened to ads like that, and oil filters like that? MicroGreen has seemed to re-discover something like it, yet where is Fram, Puro, etc. with this kind of HD truck-like oil filters for consumers??? From the ad: "Left there they (grit) can play [censored] with the guts of an engine."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back