STP oil treatment

I actually think STP has its place as a thickener for oil burning beaters. It does have some additives like Zinc unlike Pukeus. That being said, it has no place in a modern, or well maintained, engine...

Back in the 1950's and early 60's, it was one of the only way to get additives in your oil...

I threw a bottle of it in my last oil change in the 66 Deville thinking it would give me a ZDDP boost....now I see that they don't list the amount in the bottle or website so I imagine it isn't much anyhow so I won't use it anymore. I wll use one of the older car specialty oils or maybe Valvoline VR1.

I actually think STP has its place as a thickener for oil burning beaters. It does have some additives like Zinc unlike Pukeus. That being said, it has no place in a modern, or well maintained, engine...

Back in the 1950's and early 60's, it was one of the only way to get additives in your oil...
You are right , STP was one of if not the first oil thickener additives on the market that became popular . A lot of the cars back then had oil consumption issues and it did help......some.

You are right , STP was one of if not the first oil thickener additives on the market that became popular . A lot of the cars back then had oil consumption issues and it did help......some.
It was also the #1 selling oil additive in the world back in the day. One of the claims they made that sticks in my mind was, it helped oil cling to metal parts making cold starts easier and reduced engine wear as a result. I'm not quoting it, but I recall many of their ads from the 60,s and 70's in various magazines. I used it a few times when I was younger, and remember the cans with the flip top lid. You could crush it to form a "V" shape acting as its own funnel to pour it in. I'd boil water and stand the can in the hot water, wipe it off bend the can like a "V" and pour the stuff into a running engine. If it was cold outside that was the best way to do it w/o spending half a day pouring the stuff in. lol

It was also the #1 selling oil additive in the world back in the day. One of the claims they made that sticks in my mind was, it helped oil cling to metal parts making cold starts easier and reduced engine wear as a result. I'm not quoting it, but I recall many of their ads from the 60,s and 70's in various magazines. I used it a few times when I was younger, and remember the cans with the flip top lid. You could crush it to form a "V" shape acting as its own funnel to pour it in. I'd boil water and stand the can in the hot water, wipe it off bend the can like a "V" and pour the stuff into a running engine. If it was cold outside that was the best way to do it w/o spending half a day pouring the stuff in. lol
I used to help my dad change oil … he’d always leave me pouring the STP while he’d burn a cigar 🐌

I threw a bottle of it in my last oil change in the 66 Deville thinking it would give me a ZDDP boost....now I see that they don't list the amount in the bottle or website so I imagine it isn't much anyhow so I won't use it anymore. I wll use one of the older car specialty oils or maybe Valvoline VR1.

It had more zinc prior to SL or SM oil I think. The Red Bottle stuff was sought out by members here after it was discontinued and sold at clearance stores because it still had a high zinc content. There were several products with high zinc additive that were taken off the market that were prized here, I think CD2 made one as well.

stbred.jpg

Last edited:
STP really did reduce noise on cold starts.

I used it along with straight 30 or 40w Valvoline Racing oil living in So Cal growing up, in mostly Ford small blocks. I sure had a race motor at 16 that needed racing oil and the racers edge! lol I also had a Triumph Spitfire with a broken ring and it was my go to "oil".

Great to add to a worn out differential before you sell it. Quiets things down. Great in the days of Carb's and fuel dilution of oil. Throw a can of that in there to bring back some oil life.

Great to add to a worn out differential before you sell it. Quiets things down. Great in the days of Carb's and fuel dilution of oil. Throw a can of that in there to bring back some oil life.
I've was told years back banana peels or sawdust was good for differential noise as well. :ROFLMAO:

I've used it before and the only thing I noticed was a quiter motor and little more oil pressure. If it can keep a old beater around little longer, why not?

Andy Granatelli (sp)

STP. Studibaker Packard.

Back in the days cars had an Oil Pressure Gauge, I traveled long distances, my oil pressure would fall to near zero when I had to stop at a light. I would use it in my 1970’s cars and the oil pressure would stay at a more normal level at idle.

Thirty years ago, STP came in three flavors.

BLUE Bottle. Same thick as today.

BLACK and RED Bottles. Can’t remember exactly except one of them was NOT thick, Don’t remember about the other.

Very interesting! So SN levels of ZDDP (so it isn't boosting that at all) a lot of calcium and holy viscosity batman! 57.7cSt????? To put that into perspective, the upper limit for SAE 60 is 26.1cSt, it's more that DOUBLE that! It is approaching the upper limit for SAE 250 gear lube.

Back