STP 11665 XL cartridge 6,250 miles

Cartridges aren’t as exciting but figured I’d post it anyway.

Came of the Wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6.

6,250 miles and almost 8 months. Used Supertech 0w20.

IMG_5769.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg

Looks good :cool:

And yeah, that one is exciting because Pentastars are known for twisting the pleats, even in a wire-backed Wix XP! So the fact that any Pentastar filter comes out with the pleats straight *is* notable :D
I've heard that as well but oddly enough I have never witnessed it myself on any of my 3.6's.

I looked at them too at AutoZone. It was a toss up between the STP XL (made in China) and the MircoGard Select (made in Vietnam).
I’m pretty much with you there, it’s a toss up between the two. I considered the TG Fram as well but these two just seemed better quality. There isn’t an Orielly’s near me so the choice was made for me 😂

Twisted Sister ... after not running an STP XL or M1 on his Pentastar, and then sees twisted and wavy pleats.

1711245589525.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the straightest 3.6L filters I've seen! Not a huge STP fan, but man they might have just moved up the run 1 step. I generally run the Mopar ones with good success. I've seen twisted Wix, M1 and K&N's out of my wife's van.

Just my $0.02

Everyone mentioning the pleats on the Pentastars which I actually never saw (in any severe or not normal form) in my Pentastars which together are over 200k of oil changes. But I have seen them on Pentastars that come to me for service after being somewhere else and I have seen wavy pleats but these have normally not been maintained well or overdue on oil changes. So! I got curious this morning and dumped the '20 Gladiator's oil out. This is a Wix filter running 5w/30 Mobil 1 at 6,266 miles. Looks good to me. I have run STP and even a straggler Fram and they still come out good to me. Could it be installation methods that cause this? Cheap filters? I always install the filter snug in the cap and aim it down gently for fit. Or is it just a random thing?

Pictures of the Wix that came out that looks good to me- maybe my idea of ok wavy is not the same as everyone else?

KIMG3339.JPG

KIMG3340.JPG

KIMG3341.JPG

Cartridges aren’t as exciting but figured I’d post it anyway.

Came of the Wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6.

6,250 miles and almost 8 months. Used Supertech 0w20.

View attachment 210044
View attachment 210045
Good Morning MuzzleFlash40,
Thank you for the excellent C&P. I have a Pentastar and am impressed with how the filter looks after 6,250 miles. Question ... how much city/highway driving did this filter encounter? Thanks again.

Everyone mentioning the pleats on the Pentastars which I actually never saw (in any severe or not normal form) in my Pentastars which together are over 200k of oil changes. But I have seen them on Pentastars that come to me for service after being somewhere else and I have seen wavy pleats but these have normally not been maintained well or overdue on oil changes. So! I got curious this morning and dumped the '20 Gladiator's oil out. This is a Wix filter running 5w/30 Mobil 1 at 6,266 miles. Looks good to me. I have run STP and even a straggler Fram and they still come out good to me. Could it be installation methods that cause this? Cheap filters? I always install the filter snug in the cap and aim it down gently for fit. Or is it just a random thing?

Pictures of the Wix that came out that looks good to me- maybe my idea of ok wavy is not the same as everyone else?

View attachment 210152

View attachment 210153

View attachment 210154
Hi GMBoy,
Yours looks great too with about the same miles but a different brand of filter. What was the city/hwy miles on the filter? I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. Thank you!

A question for the community. In doing some reading on the Pentastar oil pump I learned it has two modes; a low pressure mode of of 29 psi and high pressure mode of 65 psi. Would hard frequent accelerating putting it into the 65 psi mode impact the media?

Hi GMBoy,
Yours looks great too with about the same miles but a different brand of filter. What was the city/hwy miles on the filter? I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. Thank you!
The usage of the vehicle in this example is mostly highway with a 44 mile commute to and from (88 miles a day) of this about 10 miles are city. I would say it is a solid 60/40 (highway/city) use of the vehicle after throwing in weekend use etc. I have used WIX, STP, FRAM and a CHAMP all with the same outcome in 2 different P-Stars (2014 Grand Cherokee and the 2020 Gladiator) as the photos show. I never had one with bad wavy pleats in my personal vehicles but I have seen it on cars we service. It is odd and I would love to know the reasons as well.

A question for the community. In doing some reading on the Pentastar oil pump I learned it has two modes; a low pressure mode of of 29 psi and high pressure mode of 65 psi. Would hard frequent accelerating putting it into the 65 psi mode impact the media?
That a great point. I can tell you that in my case my vehicles see plenty of WOT lol so doesn't seem to make a difference. I would think the filters are designed to handle higher pressures then the engine can make as well as the pressures a cold start in zero degree weather as well.

Any time there is higher oil flow volume (which there would be at 65 psi vs 29 psi of oil pressure due to the PD pump), then there is going to be higher dP and therefore more stress across the media. Filters see more higher and longer dP episodes in cold weather of course. As always, the engine shouldn't be revved high until the oil warms up ... that practice alone will help keep the high extended dP episodes down.

That a great point. I can tell you that in my case my vehicles see plenty of WOT lol so doesn't seem to make a difference. I would think the filters are designed to handle higher pressures then the engine can make as well as the pressures a cold start in zero degree weather as well.
The filters need to be designed and made to be able to take the max dP across the filter without causing damage to the media or center tube (tube collapse), which is suppose to be limited by the filter's bypass valve. The "burst pressure" of the filter can (and the base gasket sealing of course) needs to be able to take the max oil pressure supplied by the pump. If there is no oil flow going through the filter, there is no dP across the filter ... regardless of how pressurized the filter can is. dP across the filter is a function of the filter's flow resistance factor, the oil viscosity and the oil flow volume going through the filter. If the can was at 200 PSI and the flow was a trickle, the dP acorss the filter would essentially be zero.

Back