Storing Flashlight Batteries (A, C, D cells, etc.)

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I have heard that storing this type of battery in a cold place, like a fridge, increases its longevity. Is this true? Any suggestions for such storage? Sweetie kept hers in zip-loc bags in the refrigerator.

I do store cells in the freezer. Sometimes and some of them at least.

I don’t have any objective data for my batteries, but I do know that Arrhenius tells us that warmer temperatures speed up chemical reactions… and some of these cells, like when I get a multi pack of 2032 cells, might be in my possession for 5 years or more before they’re consumed.

In large batteries we do see the affects of aging at elevated temperatures.

I've always kept all cells at room temp and for alkaline I just buy what I think I'll use within 2-3 yrs and leave it at that.

I gave up with with battery powered flashlights and just bought rechargeable flashlights on amazon. And if it's for a home power outage one's better off with a big power bank so they can use their phone to stay entertained and use it's flashlight. Phone led's have gotten real bright. I remember thinking the iphone 4's led was bright.

AlkaLeaks (er-I mean alkaline) batteries should be replaced with rechargeables. AA rechargeables can be placed in larger carriers to create D cells, and AAA's can make C cells. Nine volt cells are also available as rechargeables, using lithium. I've got a few on-order for testing. Single-use Lithium 9v cells are still my go-to for smoke and CO alarms.

Way too many flashlights, radios and toys have been destroyed by alkaline cells... Not to mention the waste, and poisoning of landfills. (Oh lord, I'm turning into an envirofreak! :[ )

Back