Stick or Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 2 of my vehicles (1984 Isuzu & 2008 Ford Escape) and a motorcycle 1998 Kawasaki Ninja have manual transmission. I have driving manual transmission all my life. Love it so much..............

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by dareo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wew6o3-E4nQ

Automatics can be better sticks these days.

No they can't. You can't replace the feeling of total control you get from a stick with ANY automatic....

I'm not sure about that. I like driving an automatic through a curve. Both hands on the wheel and applying power as you pull out of the curve. I didn't feel like I had that much control when you have to take one hand off the wheel and shift. Steering just isn't as precise with just one hand.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm not sure about that. I like driving an automatic through a curve. Both hands on the wheel and applying power as you pull out of the curve. I didn't feel like I had that much control when you have to take one hand off the wheel and shift. Steering just isn't as precise with just one hand.

I don't want to be "that guy", but the gear you want to be at when coming out of the turn should be the same gear going into the turn.

But depending on where you're driving, 6K rpms whilst racing "in mexico" may not be optimum for attention.

Last edited:
I like driving an automatic through a curve. Both hands on the wheel and applying power as you pull out of the curve. I didn't feel like I had that much control when you have to take one hand off the wheel and shift. Steering just isn't as precise with just one hand.

How fast are you driving on a public road that this is an issue?

Originally Posted by atikovi
I like driving an automatic through a curve. Both hands on the wheel and applying power as you pull out of the curve. I didn't feel like I had that much control when you have to take one hand off the wheel and shift. Steering just isn't as precise with just one hand.

Empty entrance/exit cloverleaf ramps on a dry night? Fast enough the tires start squealing. Or about 50mph, allegedly.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by atikovi

Empty entrance/exit cloverleaf ramps on a dry night? Fast enough the tires start squealing. Or about 50mph, allegedly.

Atikovi,

While the Chicago area is flat, I know of at least 3 points/ tight curved ramps where at 35-45 mph you would squeal tires...
Don't get me started on driving in GA around ATL.

You should select the correct gear to exit the corner by the end of the braking zone leading up to the corner. If you have your hand on the shifter mid-corner you are definitely doing it wrong.

Many moons ago my father in law had about a '65 Valiant witha slant 6 and 3 on the tree. I remember him using first hear just to get rolling. He would almost immediately shift to 2nd on starting. That slant 6 was reasonably torquey so 2nd gear had a pretty good roadspeed range... from barely a walking speed to over 40 mph. To a certain degree 3 on the tree was fun (tho not cool)... 'till the linkage became worn. The engine had to be both torquey at low rpm + reasonably able to rev for this to work. It often was paired with 6 cyl engines that at least could rev reasonably smoothly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Many moons ago my father in law had about a '65 Valiant witha slant 6 and 3 on the tree. I remember him using first hear just to get rolling. He would almost immediately shift to 2nd on starting. That slant 6 was reasonably torquey so 2nd gear had a pretty good roadspeed range... from barely a walking speed to over 40 mph. To a certain degree 3 on the tree was fun (tho not cool)... 'till the linkage became worn. The engine had to be both torquey at low rpm + reasonably able to rev for this to work. It often was paired with 6 cyl engines that at least could rev reasonably smoothly.

My first car was a faded mint green '64 Vomit (Valiant) with a 3 on the tree and a slant 6. I remember sliding on the ice one winter and taking out a stop sign in the process, which also took out my rear brake lines. Instead of replacing the lines, I just plugged the "T" so I only had front brakes. That thing would power brake forever!

I used to drive a manual, an old Chrysler 2.2L turbo. Was fun but I don't miss it at all. I have paddle shifters in both cars now and I never use them. There's just really no point. Less than 3% of the cars sold today are manual and it's headed toward zero.

That's sad. All sports cars should be offered with a stick. The new Corvettes can only be had with an auto, which is why I'll never own one...

Yeah well if no one buys them, then it makes perfect sense not to offer them. It's not like sales were booming and then they decided not to make them. Besides, it's hard to talk on the phone or text or pay attention to the navigation system when driving a stick. Plus newer cars have 7-9 speed transmissions. Can you imagine shifting through 9 speeds? That'd be like driving a truck.

In everyday driving you would be skipping gears just like the modern autos.

I used to drive a manual, an old Chrysler 2.2L turbo. Was fun but I don't miss it at all. I have paddle shifters in both cars now and I never use them. There's just really no point. Less than 3% of the cars sold today are manual and it's headed toward zero.

That's sad. All sports cars should be offered with a stick. The new Corvettes can only be had with an auto, which is why I'll never own one...

Yeah well if no one buys them, then it makes perfect sense not to offer them. It's not like sales were booming and then they decided not to make them. Besides, it's hard to talk on the phone or text or pay attention to the navigation system when driving a stick. Plus newer cars have 7-9 speed transmissions. Can you imagine shifting through 9 speeds? That'd be like driving a truck.

Lol! People shouldn't be messing around with their phone while they're driving anyway...especially texting...

Besides, it's hard to talk on the phone or text or pay attention to the navigation system when driving a stick.

I wish I could just assume this was a troll, but I've heard people make this exact argument unironically in real life.

Amazing what people are willing to admit about themselves in public.

I never had a problem driving a stick and doing other things. You just don't do it all at once. On the highway, hit top gear, then do whatever. Not hard at all.

Around town, let alone city, there isn't enough time to multi-task, so driving a stick is about all I care to do--but there isn't enough time to bother with GPS or even radio.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Besides, it's hard to talk on the phone or text or pay attention to the navigation system when driving a stick.

I wish I could just assume this was a troll, but I've heard people make this exact argument unironically in real life.

In today's "me first" society, being in the car means it's time to get on the phone to way too many people...

You have to read what I wrote very carefully. I was just explaining why sticks aren't popular anymore. I see people texting all the time. Used to be when people were driving erratically you'd assume they were drunk, but now it's probably because they're texting. I always feel like yelling at them to stop texting, but I know it's pointless so I don't.

You have to read what I wrote very carefully. I was just explaining why sticks aren't popular anymore. I see people texting all the time. Used to be when people were driving erratically you'd assume they were drunk, but now it's probably because they're texting. I always feel like yelling at them to stop texting, but I know it's pointless so I don't.

To be fair, the totality of what you've posted here is really easy to interpret as sympathetic toward the demise of the manual transmission.

Either way, my own point was that people really do use the "I can't text while driving stick" argument to justify automatics. If you're not among them, then I guess I'm not talking about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back