Stellantis/Chrysler/Jeep shutting down the Belvidere, IL plant

Probably the fact that they were. The 2.2 engines they were tossing into everything with four wheels really werent bad, it did get up and go pretty well by the standards of the day and got pretty decent mileage, but the rest of the car absolute pure junk. Knew enough people who had them when we were teens just starting to wrench on cars, and we were constantly having to fix... something. Anything. Freaking everything. My poor grandfather gave me his dead nuts reliable late 60's Dart with the beloved slant six, and bought home a brand new Horizon, and that rolling junkyard went back and forth to the dealer so many times he should have plopped his bed and TV into the service department waiting area and just moved in permanently. When he died my dad brought the car home to us and by the time that wretched beast was five years old and had 50,000 or so miles on it, it looked like it was 14+ years old and had 190,000. Of all the cars we ever had, that was truly the only one where I was seriously, honestly embarrassed to be seen in.

I know they sold a ton of them and I'm glad it helped their bottom line but the build quality of those cars was amazingly subpar even for that era.

They weren't that horrible. Most years they were the lowest price new car out there, they rode well, had a ton of space inside and comfortable seats. The 2.2 had a ton of power for that little car. The Holley carb sucked and didn't get replaced with TBI until 1988 and the door hardware felt super cheezy (the mechanism that operated the door latch and lock plunger) otherwise they weren't bad cars at all. Cheap, basic transportation.

They weren't that horrible. Most years they were the lowest price new car out there, they rode well, had a ton of space inside and comfortable seats. The 2.2 had a ton of power for that little car. The Holley carb sucked and didn't get replaced with TBI until 1988 and the door hardware felt super cheezy (the mechanism that operated the door latch and lock plunger) otherwise they weren't bad cars at all. Cheap, basic transportation.
One of the guys I worked with at the time had the 024 version of the Omni. It was a nice car. It came with the "venetian blind" rear window "spoiler".

He beat the crap out of that thing for years. Body cancer, (brought on by Midwestern salt saturated Winter roads), finally did it in. All he ever put in it was gas and oil.

But every car in existence back then, rusted like a tire iron left in a flooded ditch. I swear, you could almost watch some of those 80's Honda Accord's rust. I remember for a while they were dealer installing new front fenders on some models free of charge, because they rusted out so fast.

Ya I agree the 2.2 did have good power and the car drove pretty well, and it was comfortable enough for the younger me to get back and forth to work and school or whatever. But the build quality of the car in general was terrible, I stand by that.
But every car in existence back then, rusted like a tire iron left in a flooded ditch. I swear, you could almost watch some of those 80's Honda Accord's rust. I remember for a while they were dealer installing new front fenders on some models free of charge, because they rusted out so fast.

Ironically the Horizon got replaced with an Accord, and the Accord was light years ahead of the Horizon in every single way, but as you say about rust... once that started on the Accord, it was ferocious. I'd still take the rusty Accord over the Horizon every day of the week and four times on Sunday. I put almost 300,000 miles on the Accord with hardly any problems with anything, before a wayward deer sent me into a ditch on a snowy night and turned the front suspension into a pretzel. The only way our Horizon would have gone 300,000 miles is if you pushed it off a 250,000 mile high cliff.

Ya I agree the 2.2 did have good power and the car drove pretty well, and it was comfortable enough for the younger me to get back and forth to work and school or whatever. But the build quality of the car in general was terrible, I stand by that.

Ironically the Horizon got replaced with an Accord, and the Accord was light years ahead of the Horizon in every single way, but as you say about rust... once that started on the Accord, it was ferocious. I'd still take the rusty Accord over the Horizon every day of the week and four times on Sunday. I put almost 300,000 miles on the Accord with hardly any problems with anything, before a wayward deer sent me into a ditch on a snowy night and turned the front suspension into a pretzel. The only way our Horizon would have gone 300,000 miles is if you pushed it off a 250,000 mile high cliff.

I'm not saying the build quality was anything spectacular but you have to keep things in perspective for the time and what the vehicle sold for. You could buy 3 Omni/Horizons for the price of 1 Accord.

Most years they were the lowest price new car out there, they rode well, had a ton of space inside and comfortable seats. The 2.2 had a ton of power for that little car. The Holley carb sucked and didn't get replaced with TBI until 1988 and the door hardware felt super cheezy (the mechanism that operated the door latch and lock plunger) otherwise they weren't bad cars at all. Cheap, basic transportation.
Imagine how many of those you could sell today, if somebody bothered to (or was allowed to) make them.

You could buy 3 Omni/Horizons for the price of 1 Accord.
Not 3, but dang close to 2......I had to look up the MSRP for the Horizon in '84, looks like they were around $6k-ish. I remember being with my dad when he bought the Accord, which was $11k-something out the door, which would have been a very sizeable difference in price for cars in those days. I thought my mom was going to freak at what he was buying, two kids in college and three of us in private high school, we didnt have money to waste when I was growing up. He probably should have been looking at Horizon's instead of Accords....
Imagine how many of those you could sell today, if somebody bothered to (or was allowed to) make them.
They'd sell, and they would sell big time. I think those days are gone...

My guess is that the automotive industry doesn't normally use air freight for parts for the production of new vehicles much, maybe even not at all.
If someone here knows better a detailed explanation of how that type of thing works would be nice.
Toyota and Honda use a lot of air freight for things that can’t be shipped on a container ship to Oakland/Long Beach/Houston like an engine/transmission or big assemblies can. Small things like electronics can make the trip from Central Japan(Nagoya/Osaka/Tokyo) to a Midwestern airport and be in Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio/Alabama in a matter of days.

Supposedly, BMW was the biggest user of the Charleston airport for cargo. I’ve heard from a friend who lives in Kentucky that Cincinnati’s airport often has Toyota brass transiting through it.

Not 3, but dang close to 2......I had to look up the MSRP for the Horizon in '84, looks like they were around $6k-ish. I remember being with my dad when he bought the Accord, which was $11k-something out the door, which would have been a very sizeable difference in price for cars in those days. I thought my mom was going to freak at what he was buying, two kids in college and three of us in private high school, we didnt have money to waste when I was growing up. He probably should have been looking at Horizon's instead of Accords....

They'd sell, and they would sell big time. I think those days are gone...

Keep in mind there was an import embargo at the time that limited the number of Hondas that could be sold here so Hondas were sold at MSRP and above while the Omni/Horizon was discounted and had rebates on the hood...I stand by my claim that you could buy 3 for the price of one Accord. These things littered the parking lot of my lower-middle class HS in the mid 90's. No one wanted them but they were passed down and just ran and ran and endured a ton of abuse. No one wanted to be seen in one but they got you around and never died.

Illinois is operating under the pretense of almost as if they politically TRY to run businesses out of that state with ridiculous taxation, and burdensome environmental laws.

Illinois is, and has been, it's own worst economic enemy for years. Real estate property taxes are among the highest in the nation.... And now jobs are evaporating left and right that help support that tax base. The infrastructure is falling apart, and there is little to no money to fix any of it.

Now they are being forced to close schools, because they can't afford to keep them open. All due to the fact the Teachers Unions there are bankrupting the entire state with unsustainable pensions and benefits. Not to mention city workers all doing the same.

Add to that the fact they make it all but impossible to operate a business there at a profit, and give zero incentives to business owners to come there, and you have a solid cornerstone on which to build an economic disaster. Illinois could be used as an example by the rest of the 49 states, of how NOT to operate a state government.
Sounds like California

Sounds like California
They're both run with pretty much the same idiotic, progressive mindset. Anti energy and business. And while taxing anything with a heartbeat into oblivion..... Or until it runs somewhere else.

All while trying to attract as much crime, drugs, gangs, and homelessness as humanly possibly. Both excell at those tasks. But at least California accomplishes it with better weather. Which is why they win in the homelessness department.... And require a "Poop Squad" to keep it shoveled off their streets and sidewalks.

Back