Stellantis/Chrysler/Jeep shutting down the Belvidere, IL plant

Too bad, I'd take a gas powered Cherokee any day over anything EV. EV's here in N.D. are no working very well in -30 to -40 degree weather. Hybrids make much more sense in this part of the country! I guess a EV truck may work around here at least you can haul a generator in the box??

This is going to be the biggest major failing point for the nationwide implementation of EV's, that no one wants to address. Because there is no solution to frozen batteries under performing.

Not to mention the amount of power it will take to heat the cabin, and defrost the windows so they can be driven somewhat comfortably in these frigid climates that encompass over half the nation, without their occupants getting frostbite.

It paints a totally different picture than someone in their shiny new Tesla, pulling into a golf course parking lot in Southern California. All ready to knock out 18 holes in their cargo shorts and Polo shirt.

This is going to be the biggest major failing point for the nationwide implementation of EV's, that no one wants to address. Because there is no solution to frozen batteries under performing.

Not to mention the amount of power it will take to heat the cabin, and defrost the windows so they can be driven somewhat comfortably in these frigid climates that encompass over half the nation, without their occupants getting frostbite.

It paints a totally different picture than someone in their shiny new Tesla, pulling into a golf course parking lot in Southern California. All ready to knock out 18 holes in their cargo shorts and Polo shirt.

Market will have to adjust … when I’m shopping HVAC - gonna think hard about August in the south.
If I lived in International Falls (been there) - might think February …

It wouldn't for most people.... In most any weather. Which brings us right back to limited range and charging ability in rural areas.
Yep, but the topic while interesting at times, can be like beating a dead horse. Under certain conditions for some people, in certain parts of the US, it might be a great choice. For me in it's current configuration, price, and no matter where I live in the US it's still a big no way. It's all good though, the lovers are going to love, and the haters will hate. ;)

Are you talking about living in Chicago, or the cars? They sold a LOT of them back then.
Those cars....they might have sold alot- I will take your word for it- that doesn't mean they were not garbage.

Only if you stay in the cities and don't plan on leaving town in the winter.
This was just mentioned on CNBC, which I found interesting. The WSJ has an article but it requires subscription to access it. This sums up what CNBC just said. Electric Grid Reliability I have a feeling ICE is going to be around a lot longer than the powers that be want to believe.
27.gif

Those cars....they might have sold alot- I will take your word for it- that doesn't mean they were not garbage.
What makes you say they were?

Probably the fact that they were. The 2.2 engines they were tossing into everything with four wheels really werent bad, it did get up and go pretty well by the standards of the day and got pretty decent mileage, but the rest of the car absolute pure junk. Knew enough people who had them when we were teens just starting to wrench on cars, and we were constantly having to fix... something. Anything. Freaking everything. My poor grandfather gave me his dead nuts reliable late 60's Dart with the beloved slant six, and bought home a brand new Horizon, and that rolling junkyard went back and forth to the dealer so many times he should have plopped his bed and TV into the service department waiting area and just moved in permanently. When he died my dad brought the car home to us and by the time that wretched beast was five years old and had 50,000 or so miles on it, it looked like it was 14+ years old and had 190,000. Of all the cars we ever had, that was truly the only one where I was seriously, honestly embarrassed to be seen in.

I know they sold a ton of them and I'm glad it helped their bottom line but the build quality of those cars was amazingly subpar even for that era.

Back