Steam Turbine Failure South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jaj
It's angular momentum that keeps it spinning and kinetic energy that does the damage.

We're not arguing semantics, if we're arguing at all...

Or maybe we are - a force pulling on you is not "acting on you" because it's not producing a measurable response. As I said - you can feel it, but nobody else can measure it because you're not moving.

Way I see it, We're basically arguing whether manifestations of inertia can be called forces relative to particular/special points or frames of reference.

I think they can and, as shallow as my understanding of such matters goes, that's exactly one of the things the principle of equivalence states.

For all intents and purposes, you cannot differentiate gravity (indubitably a force, no?) acting on your body on earth from your own inertia inside of a spaceship accelerating uniformly through space.

The centrifugal force is just another manifestation of inertia. Its relevant referece frame taken into consideration, it is just as much a force as the centripetal force.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
No a force on you is a force acting on you...whether it causes you to move or not.

The force in the string is the centripetal force that you are applying to the object to cause it to deviate from linear motion. If you were tied by the feet to the rotating end of the string, you would feel the centripetal force trying to tear your feet off.

You would also "feel" a force trying to rip your head off which doesn't exist...it's the centripetal force that your neck is applying to your head, dragging it into the curve, while your head wants to continue charging in a straight line

From the point of view of the hammer, in a hammer throwing competition, spinning it at constant angular velocity is basically uniform acceleration, is it not?

Does not the principle of equivalence apply here in that the hammer's own inertia resisting this constant acceleration is indistinguishable from gravity (indubitably a force?).

At the moment of release (note the term "release") the centre of gravity of the hammer flies in a straight line as viewed from above, being freed from its tether.

Free body diagramme ???

Show me where "centrifugal force" lives on it.

At the moment of release (note the term "release") the centre of gravity of the hammer flies in a straight line as viewed from above, being freed from its tether.

So you concede my point up to the moment of release?
smile.gif
Centrifugal forces can be said to exist up until then?

Ok, let's work on from there.

The centrifugal force disappears when the centripetal force disappears (hammer tail/string fails) just as the normal force from my chair would disappear if the earth suddenly vanished from beneath my feet.

Free body diagramme ???

Show me where "centrifugal force" lives on it.

On the same radius from the centre of rotation as the centripetal force.

Why is one said to exist while the other not when it clearly and measurably does?

In fact, measuring the effect of the centrifugal force on their stars is how planets are weighed. Or rather their mass measured.

My conclusion ...Shannow's right ..he can hold physics "clinics" on 101, 202, etc. and beyond levels. I'd attend ..but I need -000 and 000 remedial.

Never bring a knife to a nuke fight.

Do you judge an argument by the merits of its author or its own?

I've said my piece. The centrifugal force is a legitimate force, the principle of equivalence clinches it.

Beyond that everyone may believe as they please.

P. S., if there's no centrifugal force, what is opposing the centripetal force? Certainly not the hammer's string, that's only good for tension, not compression.

P. P. S. Also, what's keeping the hammer from collapsing beneath the centre of rotation?

Is there no way to acknowledge that inertia can exert forces relative to specific reference frames?

Originally Posted By: maersk
Do you judge an argument by the merits of its author or its own?

I've said my piece. The centrifugal force is a legitimate force, the principle of equivalence clinches it.

Beyond that everyone may believe as they please.

P. S., if there's no centrifugal force, what is opposing the centripetal force? Certainly not the hammer's string, that's only good for tension, not compression.

P. P. S. Also, what's keeping the hammer from collapsing beneath the centre of rotation?

Is there no way to acknowledge that inertia can exert forces relative to specific reference frames?

The fact that the centripetal force is NOT counteracted by centrifugal force is the reason that the object moves in a circle in the first place. Bodies in motion acted on by net forces accelerate and all that junk I've nearly forgotten.

If centrifugal force existed, the object would continue in a straight line...

If it didn't, the hammer wouldn't climb to taut its string horizontally, would it?

What force is it that does that, lifts the hammer against gravity and tensions the wire?

Or is there no force that does that? It just happens on its own?

I should have listened to Mark Twain pages ago.

Today, I'll head off to a neighbouring town, safe in my knowledge that I'll be able to rely on the slip angle of my tyres to provide the appropriate forces to affect change of direction...rather than careening through homes and countryside in a dead straight line when an imaginary force provides an equal and opposite force eliminating any control of my vehicle.

I'll also be pretty happy that I can choose to speed up and slow down as well.

If it didn't, the hammer wouldn't climb to taut its string horizontally, would it?

What force is it that does that, lifts the hammer against gravity and tensions the wire?

Or is there no force that does that? It just happens on its own?

The force that opposes gravity is the tension in the string (or arm or whatever is holding onto the hammer).

The string will not be absolutely horizontal, but there will be a slight angle which gives a vertical component to the tension. This vertical component opposes gravity. The horizontal component is the centripetal force which imparts the acceleration to the hammer.

As to what tensions the wire, it's whatever is pulling on the wire at the other end.

You keep trying to imagine that this is a tug-of-war where the forces must all balance out. Therefore you keep wanting to introduce the centrifugal force. However, you are imagining a tug-of-war where nobody is winning and the rope stays taut but does not move. What is actually happening in this case is more akin to a tug-of-war where one person has completely stopped resisting (wearing frictionless rollerskates) and is being accelerated (pulled, if I may say, to use a very bad analogy) by the other person. There is tension in the wire, but the person being pulled is exerting no force.

edit: I probably should have stopped before that last paragraph as there's probably something incorrect about it, but eh.

Last edited:
I should have listened to Mark Twain pages ago.

Today, I'll head off to a neighbouring town, safe in my knowledge that I'll be able to rely on the slip angle of my tyres to provide the appropriate forces to affect change of direction...rather than careening through homes and countryside in a dead straight line when an imaginary force provides an equal and opposite force eliminating any control of my vehicle.

I'll also be pretty happy that I can choose to speed up and slow down as well.

Ok. So riddle me these:

1. How come vehicles understeer or oversteer? How come mass affects acceleration?
2. Why do fighter pilots need pressure suits to go over 5g? What are those g-s they say they have to pull?
3. Why do turbines fail with only centripetal force acting on them? Since when can a single force rip stuff into bits? Think about it.
4. How can an object sit still with only one force acting on it? Think about it.
5. Why/how do gyroscopes work?
6. What causes hydrodynamic and aerodynamic drag? Are those forces non existent as well? Think about it.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Of course, you'll also have to explain to me what the difference is between gravity and my apparent weight on a spaceship accelerating constantly at 9.8m/s/s.

Or how inertia isn't exerting force by keeping this wheel mostly upright:

Against the pull of gravity.

Oh, oh, oh! I almost forgot. You'll also have to explain the mechanical energy losses incurred by reciprocating mass.

Originally Posted By: itchrelief
The string will not be absolutely horizontal, but there will be a slight angle which gives a vertical component to the tension.

Naturally. Just as an aircraft's wings or propeller blades are not straight either in flight or on the ground because of lift/reaction to thrust or of their own weight making them flex downward (when lift overcomes the wing or blade's own weight it begins to flex upwards).

I just didn't think it was a detail worth mentioning, 's all.

This vertical component opposes gravity.

The vertical component of what? The centripetal force alone? Not very likely. That acts horizontally.

The horizontal component is the centripetal force which imparts the acceleration to the hammer.

It takes TWO opposing forces at either end to tension a wire or a string, don't you agree? The normal force from the crane is one, gravity acting on the concrete bucket suspended underneath is the other.

As to what tensions the wire, it's whatever is pulling on the wire at the other end.

Now what other force is there that tensions the hammer's string? The force the hammer's inertia exerts, mayhaps? And what do we call this force in this particular case? The Centrifugal Force, perhaps?
smile.gif

You keep trying to imagine that this is a tug-of-war where the forces must all balance out.

It IS a tug of war. As I just pointed out. That doesn't mean one force can't be very much stronger than the other (like me trying to wrestle a reinforced concrete pillar to the ground and failing miserably).

Therefore you keep wanting to introduce the centrifugal force.

I introduce nothing. I merely remarque on its independently verifiable existence.

However, you are imagining a tug-of-war where nobody is winning and the rope stays taut but does not move.

Again, as I've just pointed out, that is wrong. The centripetal force was winning the tug of war with the centrifugal force. It had been for quite some time (the operational life of the turbine, actually). In fact, it was winning up until the moment it suddenly lost
smile.gif

It failed, the centrifugal force won, end of story.

What is actually happening in this case is more akin to a tug-of-war where one person has completely stopped resisting (wearing frictionless rollerskates) and is being accelerated (pulled, if I may say, to use a very bad analogy) by the other person. There is tension in the wire, but the person being pulled is exerting no force.

Of course they are. See above.

As I've already said, what you are claiming contradicts the principle of equivalence.

edit: I probably should have stopped before that last paragraph as there's probably something incorrect about it, but eh.

There most certainly is something incorrect.
smile.gif

I will get you to admit inertia can exert force long before you manage to get me renounce the centrifugal force.

F=mA

My point precisely - if there's no "A", then there's no "F". If you can't see it, it's not there.

This really is semantics, though. A force that "acts" produces results. A force that's "applied" can be detected at the point of application, regardless of whether it produces a result.

F=mA

My point precisely - if there's no "A", then there's no "F". If you can't see it, it's not there.

As I've already said, I can try to wrestle a reinforced concrete pillar to the ground all day long. I'll fail miserably. That doesn't mean I haven't exerted any force on it.

Or I can try and shear the lug nuts on my car. I may succeed or I may fail, not being strong enough. Doesn't mean I didn't apply any torque at all.

This really is semantics, though. A force that "acts" produces results. A force that's "applied" can be detected at the point of application, regardless of whether it produces a result.

The force has been detected. The turbine is in smithereens.

As I've also already said, a single force alone can't break stuff.

How can you break a pencil without holding on to it in two places or pushing it against something?

How come [censored] breaks under inertial forces if they don't exist?

F=mA

As I've already said, I can try to wrestle a reinforced concrete pillar to the ground all day long. I'll fail miserably. That doesn't mean I haven't exerted any force on it.

Or I can try and shear the lug nuts on my car. I may succeed or I may fail, not being strong enough. Doesn't mean I didn't apply any torque at all.

The force has been detected. The turbine is in smithereens.

As I've also already said, a single force alone can't break stuff.

How can you break a pencil without holding on to it in two places or pushing it against something?

How come [censored] breaks under inertial forces if they don't exist?

OK - first, ranting doesn't strengthen your line of reasoning. Second, you need to revisit the definition of the following terms:

Force, mass, acceleration, motion, reference frame, pseudo force.

Then go review Newton's laws and get back to the discussion when we're speaking a common language. You're using intuitive perception...and it is not what actually happens.

I can answer all your questions...but I really don't have the time to teach Physics 101 all over again. Did that in college.

But I will tell you this: at several G's in a fighter, the lift (which, depending on relationship to the horizon, is either aided, or countered by gravity) is providing centripetal acceleration to enable the jet to change direction. What I felt was, strictly speaking, inertia...

Ok. This is pointless. You're not addressing my points - saliently, how you reconcile the principle of equivalence with there being no such thing as inertial forces.

Instead of refuting them you're just attacking me by resorting to sarcasm, personal attacks and offensive or belittling remarks or trite responses, like telling me off to acquaint myself with basic definitions.

Why? Because I have a different opinion(which I believe I've backed up reasonably well)?

They aren't called "the Opinions of Physics".

Your sum of forces being zero argument states that no change of direction (acceleration) takes place...i.e. your opinion doesn't work.

Of course mine are not opinions but scientific facts because I, being no physicist, defer to physicists.

Tempering facts to opinions is just a concession I made to courtesy, so I would not be accused of ranting again.

I sometimes roll like that.

Your sum of forces being zero argument states that no change of direction (acceleration) takes place...i.e. your opinion doesn't work.

What?!
confused.gif

Still not addressing my points - most importantly regarding the Principle of Equivalence.

Also, your side of the argument assumes there is such a thing as an absolute reference frame, colloquially known as aether.

Ok. This is pointless. You're not addressing my points - saliently, how you reconcile the principle of equivalence with there being no such thing as inertial forces.

Wow how did the original post on the thread lead to this???
35.gif
36.gif

Of course mine are not opinions but scientific facts because I, being no physicist, defer to physicists.

Tempering facts to opinions is just a concession I made to courtesy, so I would not be accused of ranting again.

I sometimes roll like that.

What?!
confused.gif

Still not addressing my points - most importantly regarding the Principle of Equivalence.

Also, your side of the argument assumes there is such a thing as an absolute reference frame, colloquially known as aether.

You admit to not knowing physics and yet you pick an argument with two physicists...your "facts" are just plain wrong...you mis-represent equivalence for example and claim that forces must be "balanced"...when every force is in balance, there is no acceleration....Everything Shannow has said is accurate.

Go back and read up on physics, inform your opinion with an understanding of the terms and principles, starting with Newtonian mechanics. Then we can have an intelligent discussion on how this turbine came apart.

I was a Teaching Assistant in the Physics department in college, but it would take too long to explain everything...so, I have no desire to perform that function in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back