States that allow you not to show a front license plate when they are required?

CA is still a two-plate state, based on receiving two plates for the HL.

I purchased the Camaro with only a rear plate installed. There was no front plate or mounting bracket.

The CHP pulled me over at the CA85/I_280 junction for speeding immediately after a Jaguar and another car passed me. I didn't get the moving violation but after the cop walked around the car, I did get a ticket for no front plate.

I had to special order the front plate bracket and mounting hardware, visit the DMV to get a new set of plates issued. I held the plate/bracket with double-sided tape and the front end mask. Drove over to the traffic court in San Jose to have the court confirm the plate was installed. I think the ticket may have been a fix-it with visual and flat fee.

I got home, removed the the mask threw the plate/bracket in the rear storage compartment. Haven't been stopped for not having a front plate in 30 years since.

I've also been pulled over for having clear polycarbonate covers over both front and rear plate, which is also illegal in CA. But I see plate covers all over the place. Some are so dark it's difficult to read the plate.

IMO, these are basically laws that are indiscriminately applied. If you violate them, do so at your own risk. At worst, the risk is a fine and/or major hassle.

VA is 2 plates, there are literally tons of people only using one plate. I had gotten into an accident and removed mine to straighten it out but didn't reinstall it and got pulled over by a state trooper. I can't remember what the fine was but I just paid it out of court and didn't go against my record as it's a non-moving violation. He must've been hard up for a ticket that day because I passed him on the highway going the other direction and he turned around and got me, said he wouldn't have given me the ticket if I had it in the car with me but it was at home.

Of course it happens the one time I don't have it... I honestly don't see how people are getting by with it.

CA requires two plates but I bought a Cavalier in ~2006 that only came with one on the rear. Drove it like that until I sold it in 2019 and was pulled over a couple times but nobody ever mentioned the lack of plate.

NY is a two plate state, and it's a very easy traffic stop/ticket (especially at border/toll crossings)
NJ is also a two plate state, but I've noticed their enforcement is significantly more lax 🤨
It may or may not have to do with displaying certain stickers/badges/placards/plate frames, but who am I to say 🤔

29 states require a front license plate and 21 do not. In a former life I worked with DMV's and I can tell you the sole reason for front plates is not safety or any other hooey but strong arm lobbying by 3M. They make and sell the reflective material used on nearly all license plates and road signs. This group would show up with lawyers for a sales presentation. DMV commissioners were essentially told their state would be issuing 2 plates.

I can't speak for every state but in my state its only rear plates, you only get 1 plate per vehicle. I don't see it as impossible to pay extra to avoid a front plate but I don't know any state which offers this.

I think some states just give you 1 plate, others give you 2.

Did lookup South Dakota and it seems to be an option for a limited use plate. Reminds me of how some states handle antique plates.

Apply for a Rear Plate Only​

A rear plate is only available for vehicles with an annual mileage of less than 7,500 miles that are not used for general or commercial use. Applicants will be required to supply a current odometer reading at the time of annual registration. Applicants must pay a $25 special plate fee in addition to the registration cost for the initial registration and each renewal. $7.50 is also assessed for the cost to mail the license plates.
This seems like an odd addition to policy just for vehicles that are driven rarely. Seems like alot of work to add "rear plate only" as if the state normally requires two why the exception? Colorado isn't too big a stickler about it but if you get pulled over it may get added to your speeding ticket. Only one time ever have I've heard of an officer specifically pulling over someone who didn't have a front license plate. Years ago the independent dealership that I worked for sold a Prius to a lady. My boss didn't have the front bracket on hand and said he'd order one and install it. The customer was pulled over specifically because she didn't have a front plate mounted and was given a $15 fix it ticket.

We require front plates here in MO but I don’t run them. Many vehicles around here don’t. I feel like enforcement really dropped during Covid. I’d love to just make it law. 3/4 Ton and larger trucks here only require a front plate, no rear needed.

29 states require a front license plate and 21 do not. In a former life I worked with DMV's and I can tell you the sole reason for front plates is not safety or any other hooey but strong arm lobbying by 3M. They make and sell the reflective material used on nearly all license plates and road signs. This group would show up with lawyers for a sales presentation. DMV commissioners were essentially told their state would be issuing 2 plates.
And the police departments really push for the front plate. They've been talking about dropping the front plate here to save costs but I'm sure they would just charge you the same money that we are already paying and saving their costs of providing the 2nd plate. The police however love it for obvious reasons, they would never give up the front plate if they had their way.

This seems like an odd addition to policy just for vehicles that are driven rarely. Seems like alot of work to add "rear plate only" as if the state normally requires two why the exception? Colorado isn't too big a stickler about it but if you get pulled over it may get added to your speeding ticket. Only one time ever have I've heard of an officer specifically pulling over someone who didn't have a front license plate. Years ago the independent dealership that I worked for sold a Prius to a lady. My boss didn't have the front bracket on hand and said he'd order one and install it. The customer was pulled over specifically because she didn't have a front plate mounted and was given a $15 fix it ticket.
I don't know why, I simply quoted their DMV website.

Back