Spraying oil on Paper filter element

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past I've sprayed filter oil onto the outside surface of the paper filter media.

I wonder if that is of any benefit to trap dust/dirt or am I just restricting flow through the paper filter?

I wouldn't do it!

That oil could degrade that paper to the point where you're gonna get more dirt into the engine. Only use that filter oil for the cotton gauze type air filters. A paper filter on it's own does a better job than the cotton gauze/oiled filters anyways.

Depends on whats used I guess. Proline paper filters sold at Pep Boys has a oily feel to it and it works very well.

The oil analysis of my Daughters car showed this to be a very good air filter,,would like to know what they put on them out of curiosity

I've thought about this too. The oil will help trap very fine dust, but it will definitely reduce the airflow through the filter causing the engine to run rich and possibly have a lack of power/response too. Foams and gauze need oil to compensate for their more open structure. Paper traps dust by being more restrictive to begin with.

[ December 06, 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Sciguyjim ]

I agree with Sciguyjim. However, Dragbaot is correct that some paper filters are coated.

The OEM paper filter for my Honda bike is coated. I don't remember the source of that information so don't ask.

If I were to put anything on a paper filter it would be that "Endust" stuff my mom made me use when doing house cleaning chores.

I have heard although I cannot remember the source - never to spray anything containing silicone, such as WD-40, while the engine is running because silicone is death to O2 sensors.

it may be benificial for filtration, but since its not cotton or any other material that uses oil, it might severly increase the resistance of air. since oil is on paper it acts as a screen, yet the thicker the worse

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Depends on whats used I guess. Proline paper filters sold at Pep Boys has a oily feel to it and it works very well.

The oil analysis of my Daughters car showed this to be a very good air filter,,would like to know what they put on them out of curiosity

Dragboat, the Motorcraft that I recently purchased for my Explorer also had a light coating of oil on it. It was very thin oil, almost like sewing machine oil
confused.gif
-Joe

i bet it is good to catch dirt. but then it should be changed more frequently if u do that ebcause its catching more dirt. personally i wouldnt...i pay 10 bucks for my fram and use it for 1 full year...maybe more if it still looks good and then i change it.

on my moms van it catches wayyy more dirt than mine. she has that new fiber for fram like x2 or something. it is black after a year!! i wish they had the new fiber for my car..

oil on cotton = good

oil on paper = very bad

paper uses much smaller holes, you'll just stop it up spraying oil on it. Oiled foams and cotton gauzes are much better!

I doubt that the paper deteriorates since when the pcv valve goes bad the filter gets filled with oil. I have a double filter on two vehicles - the outer one paper, the inner oiled wool. My Mitubishi definitely does not have oil, because the cleaning procedure when the light comes on is to wash it with laundry detergent.
So I will try something: I just changed the air filter on my 95 4Runner 2.8 Diesel. When I change oil at 6,000 km I will analise the oil, spray an ISO 15 oil on the air filter and analyse again at the next change.
Stay tuned.

Spraying oil on a paper filter is restricting the air flow to the motor. It may also react to any coating the manf. put on the paper. You can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear.

If you want an oiled filter, buy a Amsoil, Accel, K&n and others

but thats little compared to what he was going to do by spraying oil on the filter...i agree they do get crap on it but i still think that its one of the worse things u can do to a paper. what if it collapsed due to the soggieness of the paper element?

I removed the brand new OE factory installed motorcraft filter on a e-250 (uses the same filter as the GTs and Cobras), it was SOAKED in some kind of oil. It wasn't dripping but my hands were nearly soaked in oil.

I installed a new Accel Kool Blue KR1160 for more performance and longer filter service intervals.fff

man how many miles u had that filter in there? hehe we kept a filter in one of our cars for about 3 years...casue we didnt drive it as much and there was no oil, it was just really fraille...hehe nissan filters suck in the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back