Split ignition coil boot.

1599857028853.png

Is this bad? Another one looks about like this too, but the other two are fine. Can I replace the split rubber part or just not worry about it? My car rarely misfires (no CEL) and it sometimes hunts for idle, but I don't know if that's related. I did have a misfire with a CEL a few months ago and changing the plugs seemed to fix it. I did not notice any of the boots were split when I took them out to do the plugs. Any advice would be appreciated as always!

What car is this for? The reason I ask is there are 2 lengths of coil one 4 1/4 and one 3 7/8, yes they should be replaced and they are available. They should be installed with dielectric silicone.

Last edited:
You can find them here pick the engine size and buy the ones from Standard or NGK as a set. They include the upper seal and springs as well.
Twist the old ones off, remove the spring, look at the spring if it is the same on both ends it doesnt matter which way it goes in but if there is a tapered end make sure it goes in the same way.
Lube the new ones with dielectric grease and put them on the coil, put a little of the grease in the new boot before putting it on the plug.

Last edited:
Should I replace the springs too? One looks like it doesn't stick out as far as the others. Do I just pull them out and put the new ones in? Is there any technique or caution needed to do this?

Also, the new boots seem awfully snug compared to the old ones (slightly smaller inner diameter) Is that how they should be? It feels like they will stick to the spark plug if I take them out again.

Back