Spark Plug Wires for '97 Saturn SL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Today, I did a tune up on my girlfriends '97 Saturn SL2. One of the things I changed were the spark plugs. The spark plug wires I left alone since 1.5 years ago and 30k miles ago, I changed them at the time of replacing the spark plugs. The wires were bought at the Saturn dealership and should be OEM. The brand is AC Delco. After replacing the spark plugs today, I noticed that the boots on the wires are no longer snug as they were when first installed and don't fit tightly around each cylinder hole where the spark plugs are. To be honest, I am very disappointed since these are OEM. I did the best I could in re-installing them but want to replace them ASAP with new plug wires. I noticed that RockAuto sells Denso wires for $14.92. The Part # is 6714042 and are described as "7MM; Original Equipment# 12043731." The engine in this Saturn is the DOHC but the Denso does not directly list them as compatible. Are the SOHC and DOHC wires the same. Some wires are listed as fitting on both engines while others list only one? I know Denso makes quality OEM spark plugs and wires for Japanese vehicles. However, I do not have much experience with Domestics. How will the Denso perform on the Saturn? Are they better than the OEM AC Delco wires that only served me 30k miles? I don't want to deal with the same thing in another 30k miles when it comes time to replace spark plugs of not being able to fit the wires back up properly after disconnecting them.

I know there are very knowledgeable folks here and a few Saturn owners. Input is much appreciated.

Just wondering...has anyone else had the same experience of not being able to re-use AC Delco spark plug wires after disconnecting them for a spark plug replacement?
Thanks

Last edited:
I would buy the cheapest wires you can find and call it a day. I would head to your local autozone, advance auto or similar. I change the wires on my brothers saturn every other spark plug change (40-60k). I think I used autozone house brand last time I swapped them out and no problems. His SL1 has 145k and runs great.

I've gotten this several times. Take your pliers and gently squeeze the connector in the boot so it will fit the top of the plug tighter. That's all, it probably got loose when you were twisting the plug boots off.

I've never had this problem with Delco Wires. I've got about 175k on the current OEM wires in one of my Buicks and that's with four or five plug changes.

On my 98 Saturn SC2 I've got 165,xxx on the factory AC Delco's. I'm not sure if they were made by Denso or not but they've been great wires. The plugs are changed every 20,000 miles so they've seen a lot of pulls and they fit back in snug.

Seems RockAuto has the best price on wires. Denso are $20 shipped. My friend works at a local dealership which can get me an employee price for the OEM Saturn wires of $27. I asked what brand and he said in the system it say's GM Goodwrench. Are these the Ac Delco wires?

From past experience, which is backed up from other owners on Saturnfans.com, these older SOHC and DOHC engines are real touchy when it comes to plug wires. Best bet is OEM. If the wire dress isn't just right you'll get inductive crossfire which will set the SES light. The code it generally sets is P0341 which is "Camshaft Position Sensor" but the engine doesn't have one. You'll go crazy trying to figure it out. Trust me. Been there, done that.

Originally Posted By: Axe Man
From past experience, which is backed up from other owners on Saturnfans.com, these older SOHC and DOHC engines are real touchy when it comes to plug wires. Best bet is OEM. If the wire dress isn't just right you'll get inductive crossfire which will set the SES light. The code it generally sets is P0341 which is "Camshaft Position Sensor" but the engine doesn't have one. You'll go crazy trying to figure it out. Trust me. Been there, done that.

I have to differ w/ you on this; I don't recall this being much of a topic on saturnfans (been there for years). PLUGS are the touchy issue on saturns, not the wires. IIRC (and I think I do
cool.gif
), the code P0341 is caused by bad coil mounting surface.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but just about any wires should be fine on a saturn.
for the OP: just pinch the terminal clip together a little, so it clicks on tightly to the plug. use some dielectric grease on the boots also. I only replace wires if the boots are dried/cracked.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: Axe Man

I have to differ w/ you on this; I don't recall this being much of a topic on saturnfans (been there for years). PLUGS are the touchy issue on saturns, not the wires. IIRC (and I think I do
cool.gif
), the code P0341 is caused by bad coil mounting surface.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but just about any wires should be fine on a saturn.
for the OP: just pinch the terminal clip together a little, so it clicks on tightly to the plug. use some dielectric grease on the boots also. I only replace wires if the boots are dried/cracked.

Oh, I agree. Bosch plugs are a no-no. And the coil mounting surface can also cause the dreaded P0341. But I also had a set of plug wires cause this too. Been a few years. Don't recall the brand. Installed OEM and problem went away.

I wouldn't worry about the fitment of the wire in the valve cover.
Judicious use of pliers can tighten up the connector that attaches to the spark plug.
Bosch makes a good set of wires.

I'm using the ACDelco wires in my Saturn. 20k on them without any problems, and I've already removed the wires several times to check for leaks.

I think you might have received a bad set. I think the ACDelco wires are lifetime warranty if they were actually sold under the ACDelco brand name. I would try another brand of wires, such as Belden or Bosch, as the others have mentioned. These cars are picky about plugs, not wires.

Been using Napa cheapo house brand 7mm wires for my 00 Saturn SL. Have put 42,000 miles on this car in 11 months traveling all over the country with zero problems and 42-45 mpg highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I'm using the ACDelco wires in my Saturn. 20k on them without any problems, and I've already removed the wires several times to check for leaks.

I think you might have received a bad set. I think the ACDelco wires are lifetime warranty if they were actually sold under the ACDelco brand name. I would try another brand of wires, such as Belden or Bosch, as the others have mentioned. These cars are picky about plugs, not wires.

Where do I claim the warranty. I have the receipt from the dealer I purchased these wires from. The dealer will most likely not honor the lifetime warranty.

Saturns are picky with spark plugs....

All the members at Saturnfans.com swear by NGK's. Don't use any sort of platinum tipped plugs on these cars.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Where do I claim the warranty. I have the receipt from the dealer I purchased these wires from. The dealer will most likely not honor the lifetime warranty.

Unless they came in an ACDelco box, I don't think you're eligible for the warranty. I bought mine from RockAuto, and if I remember correctly, there was some info inside the box about a lifetime warranty. Not sure where I'd claim it though.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Saturns are picky with spark plugs....

All the members at Saturnfans.com swear by NGK's. Don't use any sort of platinum tipped plugs on these cars.

I think ToyotaNSaturn is using platinums in his. I'm running standard NGK coppers in mine right now, but I'm tempted to install a set of Bosch +4s at the next tune-up just for fun. Bosch warranties them for 5 years anyway.

Quote:
but I'm tempted to install a set of Bosch +4s at the next tune-up just for fun.

Good luck on that. The Bosche Plus 4's that were on my SC2 were the reason I got the car at a good price, the owner thought he screwed something up during the tune-up he gave it. Drove 60 miles home like I was in a riding mower. Pulled the Bosche's and stuck some plain old Autolites in there and have been golden ever since.

I am wanting to put the NGK's in there next time. Rockauto's the cheapest I've seen so far on them.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I'm tempted to install a set of Bosch +4s at the next tune-up just for fun. Bosch warranties them for 5 years anyway.

I'm tempted to mix ammonia and bleach just for fun. everyone tells me it'll kill me but, life is short anyway.

Figured out the problem. Turns out the spark plug wires that I bought from the dealership (the ones installed for 30k miles) were the incorrect wires from the get go. They were part # 21024812. The part # I needed and bought today was 21024814. I don't know how they were on the car for 30k miles w/o causing much trouble w/o being the right ones. Apparently they are for a '91-'95 Saturn. This explains why they were not seating properly after re-installation.

The part dept. guy some how gave me the wrong part # a year ago. Perhaps maybe I'll see a change in performance with the correct wires. Not that the car was running poorly before.

BTW, use the OEM NGK plugs for these Saturn's. No sense to experiment with other brands since the NGK OEM plugs are less than $2/each.

From what I understand you can run first gen wires on second gen motors without any ill effect, just a slight decrease in power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back