Some rust on threads of filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked some unused filters stored in my garage and noticed a few had some rust on the threads.

My question is; Are they still OK to use?

Thanks,

Scott

They won't rust once in use.
laugh.gif

When I buy a filter for my stash I put plastic cling wrap on the bottom and up the sides a little, then put the filter in the box with the top facing up. The plastic wrap stays in place, no moisture or foreign matter can get in the filter. The base plate and threads don't rust either.

Your fine, a little of surface rest means nothing. I wouldn't really be concerned until you and punch a hole through it with a screw driver.

If you have some oil already open it wouldn't hurt to dip your finger in it and just run it over the threads.

I just ran one that had a rusty baseplate but none in the center tube. When I cut it it also had rust on the endcaps. My engine didn't die. Ymmv.

i ran an oooold made in usa k&n in my lx450 last year with moderate rust on the baseplate and had zero issues. i did wipe the baseplate with a clean rag before installing the filter. though, i'm not sure it made much of a difference.

Again with the "zero issues" thing?

IF this contributed to, say, accelerated wear (which is very unlikely) how would you detect that as an "issue"?

"Zero issues" is a favourite phrase on here, (I might even have used it myself in a careless moment) and its usually almost completely meaningless.

All it could mean here is that your oil filter didn't burst due to the corrosion.

OP, if you don't want it to rust, put oil in it. That'll probably stop the paper degrading as well.

I'd clean rust off before using. I usually rub with aluminium foil to clean off rust, but in this location I'd also remove any aluminium residue with a paper towel or clean cloth. Watch out for lint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Again with the "zero issues" thing?

IF this contributed to, say, accelerated wear (which is very unlikely) how would you detect that as an "issue"?

"Zero issues" is a favourite phrase on here, (I might even have used it myself in a careless moment) and its usually almost completely meaningless.

All it could mean here is that your oil filter didn't burst due to the corrosion.

OP, if you don't want it to rust, put oil in it. That'll probably stop the paper degrading as well.

I'd clean rust off before using. I usually rub with aluminium foil to clean off rust, but in this location I'd also remove any aluminium residue with a paper towel or clean cloth. Watch out for lint.

That's just asking for something to fall into the filter... either you toss it or just run it. I'm going to assume its very light surface, no "blooms" of rust. I'd just run it.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3

That's just asking for something to fall into the filter...

And then you'd have...er..."zero issues".

That's just asking for something to fall into the filter... either you toss it or just run it. I'm going to assume its very light surface, no "blooms" of rust. I'd just run it.

Depends which way is up while you're doing it.

Sounds like the OP has a few of these so he'd be daft to chuck them, but he should probably oil them if its going to be a while before they get used up. In the light of some recent posts about media degredation in storage, I'm going to put mine in lidded containers, open-end up, and fill them with oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueSmoke16
Checked some unused filters stored in my garage and noticed a few had some rust on the threads.

My question is; Are they still OK to use?

Thanks,

Scott

Use them.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Nope, put them in freezer bags with bags of dessicant in them, that stops them from rusting, & the media from deteriorating.

That'd be OK, but I think I have reasons to believe my solution is better.

Paper in general degrades mostly from acid hydrolysis, and secondarily by oxidation. The acid may be in the paper (depending on how it was processed) or from atmospheric pollution.

High temperatures, air pollution and humidity promote these processes,so Taiwan is a high-threat environment.

Sealing it under oil will protect it generally, but it should also specifically tend to neutralise any acids present, and these are the most important causes of paper breakdown.

I might put dessicant in as well if I have any.

OMG... just don't buy lifetime supplies of filters. Save a buck, but then worry about storing it.

Not sure who this is directed to.

We don't know why the OP has multiple filters in storage but it might not have been by choice. They could have been inherited, gifts, found, etc.

I've got two, an AC Delco that I bought, and a Taiwanese one with a magnet in it that someone gave me. Not really a lifetime supply, touch wood, but I'm running a 3-4 year OCI interval at the moment so they'll be quite old by the time I use them, (as will I) especially if I do 2 OCI's per filter.

I'm not worried, just thoughtful, and my thought is that its easy to oil them and very likely to work, so I don't have a problem with it.

What's yours?

I don't have a lot of filters in storage.

I have 5 vehicles in my "fleet"

Two of each take common filters.... one ... the truck is an outlier.

I buy filters in bulk usually 4 to 6 at a time per type.

I change at 3500 - 4000 OCI.

On two of the vehicles that's every two months aproximately.

So I turn through them at a regular rate.

Regards,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back