Solid State Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dave9
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Make sure you limit writing to the ssd, as they burn sectors up with multiple write sessions. They are amazing performers, just like a crack head, and same as such will crash and burn . Don't store any valuable data to it.

On the contrary I put more valuable data on SSDs than HDDs. Write cycle wearout is not very significant for desktop computing uses versus a server database. They have had wear algorithms for a long time and like a HDD, with an SSD it will identify a bad sector and remap it without severe consequences to the rest of the volume but unlike a HDD, it won't have a mechanical or controller failure that can wipe out everything at once with little to no warning.

Obviously this ignores that either way, redundancy data backups are key. Your data isn't important if you don't have an offline backup of it, but if I had to Bet My Life on a major brand SSD or HDD for avoiding data loss from failure, I'd go with an SSD. Since I don't have to make that bet, the distinction is irrelevant because I have the offline backup of valuable data.

No question that solid state is going to absolutely destroy a disk for reliability.
If you look at the physics behind a hard drive, it's incredible that the things actually work. Worked on parts for WD and Seagate some time ago and their engineers liked to talk about the R/W heads fusing to the disk surface when they touched and the hilarity that ensued. Head flights clearances have only gotten smaller since then.
Solid state with no moving parts FTW!!!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

No question that solid state is going to absolutely destroy a disk for reliability.
If you look at the physics behind a hard drive, it's incredible that the things actually work. Worked on parts for WD and Seagate some time ago and their engineers liked to talk about the R/W heads fusing to the disk surface when they touched and the hilarity that ensued. Head flights clearances have only gotten smaller since then.

The amazing thing too is that platter drives now are actually more durable than the ones of old despite the speed and other things that have "tightened up" on them.

I agree, though, that it's amazing that they work at all. With my current move to PCIe drives, I'm going to go to WD Greens for storage. I think the recent ones are rated decently on reliability and they do have lower rotational speeds in their favor.

BTW, the really fun ones are the laptop drives with glass platters. I think they were mostly limited to some older Travelstars. In practice they're pretty durable, but they're also the only drives where I've seen total and complete platter failure.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

The amazing thing too is that platter drives now are actually more durable than the ones of old despite the speed and other things that have "tightened up" on them.

I agree, though, that it's amazing that they work at all. With my current move to PCIe drives, I'm going to go to WD Greens for storage. I think the recent ones are rated decently on reliability and they do have lower rotational speeds in their favor.

BTW, the really fun ones are the laptop drives with glass platters. I think they were mostly limited to some older Travelstars. In practice they're pretty durable, but they're also the only drives where I've seen total and complete platter failure.

Glass platters!
Never would have believed it...

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Make sure you limit writing to the ssd, as they burn sectors up with multiple write sessions. They are amazing performers, just like a crack head, and same as such will crash and burn . Don't store any valuable data to it.

On the contrary I put more valuable data on SSDs than HDDs. Write cycle wearout is not very significant for desktop computing uses versus a server database. They have had wear algorithms for a long time and like a HDD, with an SSD it will identify a bad sector and remap it without severe consequences to the rest of the volume but unlike a HDD, it won't have a mechanical or controller failure that can wipe out everything at once with little to no warning.

Obviously this ignores that either way, redundancy data backups are key. Your data isn't important if you don't have an offline backup of it, but if I had to Bet My Life on a major brand SSD or HDD for avoiding data loss from failure, I'd go with an SSD. Since I don't have to make that bet, the distinction is irrelevant because I have the offline backup of valuable data.

?

Just because it has no moving part does not make it more reliable.

Dell offers service support on rotating media for a longer period than for SSDs. Last I checked rotating disks can get 'pro support (i.e. corporate) for 7 years; SSDs can be under a service contract for 5 years. Could be driven by a financial factor, but I suspect reliability is also considered in the mix.

Don't confuse reliability with ruggedness. Given a mobile environment, I would choose SSD; long term storage options, rotating media.

They have break/fix statistics for millions of disk drives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

Glass platters!
Never would have believed it...

Yup, I had a recent glass platter drive apart, I believe it was a Seagate? Head had cratered and took the magnetic media right off the glass, you could see straight through the platter.

I think Toshiba were the first to use glass platters, about 25 years ago or so I'd say. Customers would ask me to destroy their data, and rather than put them in the degausser I'd smash them on the ground, pick it back up, and rattle the drive in front of them. It was always good for a laugh.

I'd degauss them anyway because you never know if one of the platters actually lived...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Subdued
I think Toshiba were the first to use glass platters, about 25 years ago or so I'd say. Customers would ask me to destroy their data, and rather than put them in the degausser I'd smash them on the ground, pick it back up, and rattle the drive in front of them. It was always good for a laugh.

I'd degauss them anyway because you never know if one of the platters actually lived...

I generally shoot them, and the glass platters disintegrate unlike regular platters. It is really neat to see, but a pain in the posterior to clean up if the case comes apart.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Subdued

I generally shoot them, and the glass platters disintegrate unlike regular platters. It is really neat to see, but a pain in the posterior to clean up if the case comes apart.

I shoot hard drives for destruction also, and that was how I found out about the glass platters in the first place.

Out of necessity, I sometimes drill them when I'm at work, and I'm just glad that I didn't find out about them on the drill press
smile.gif

The problem with SSD durability is actually real. Cells are made so small these days that if you do not power it on for a year, the data is lost, vs the typical 10 years on HDD.

While powered on SSD will do read refresh to keep the data fresh if it detects deterioration, this started a few years ago. Also store your SSD in low heat condition (i.e. do not keep it in a hot car). One month at 80C is equivalent to 1 year at room temp in data retention lost. The same goes for USB drives. Do not store them in a hot car and then expect your data to remain good after 1 year. You will be disappointed.

The biggest problem with SSD is design issue, just like HDD. If you buy big reputable brand you are good, or if it comes with your computer your OEM has qualified them before putting it in the PC. A no name brand off ebay can be a bit risky. Always backup important data.

Most consumer never writes enough data to "wear out" their drives. Get something big enough but not too big for your budget, it is still expensive so don't waste money on 1TB SSD if you are only going to store family vacation photos on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The problem with SSD durability is actually real. Cells are made so small these days that if you do not power it on for a year, the data is lost, vs the typical 10 years on HDD.

While powered on SSD will do read refresh to keep the data fresh if it detects deterioration, this started a few years ago. Also store your SSD in low heat condition (i.e. do not keep it in a hot car). One month at 80C is equivalent to 1 year at room temp in data retention lost. The same goes for USB drives. Do not store them in a hot car and then expect your data to remain good after 1 year. You will be disappointed.

The biggest problem with SSD is design issue, just like HDD. If you buy big reputable brand you are good, or if it comes with your computer your OEM has qualified them before putting it in the PC. A no name brand off ebay can be a bit risky. Always backup important data.

Most consumer never writes enough data to "wear out" their drives. Get something big enough but not too big for your budget, it is still expensive so don't waste money on 1TB SSD if you are only going to store family vacation photos on it.

PandaBear,

In the 500GB SSD range, what would you recommend for a laptop use?

Fairly good amount of use, but no 3D/Graphics....

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back