So confused about Hemi oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
WildPig
Please cite me some instances (other than a half-empty wallet and 20th Century beater vehicle), where conventional oil would be a benefit over a full synthetic?

A rarely driven car that's used only for 40 plus miles trips when driven and don't accumulate a lot of miles during the year... or a daily driver that is short tripped and needs changing every 6 months... the return on investment is better with today's conventional oil in these two scenarios. Of course, in an extreme environment, a synthetic may be best... but that would make it the best return on investment due to the circumstances in which it was used.

Originally Posted by 1WildPig
A rarely driven car that's used only for 40 plus miles trips when driven and don't accumulate a lot of miles during the year... or a daily driver that is short tripped and needs changing every 6 months... the return on investment is better with today's conventional oil in these two scenarios. Of course, in an extreme environment, a synthetic may be best... but that would make it the best return on investment due to the circumstances in which it was used.

No it's not. I have been getting Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil-1 for under $14 (five quart jug) after rebate.
Both companies offer these-type rebates every year and the rebate program lasts 3-4 months.
Do the rebate offer correctly and 99% of the time, you receive the rebate.

Once every five years-or so, I try a couple different brands for a year. That's what I'm currently doing with Valvoline and Castrol.

Last edited:
I am a conventional oil guy but can't justify the price when Havoline ProDs 5w20 in box is cheaper. Conventional oil nowadays is a blend so it is way better than it was and turbo approved with a change interval of 1 year or 10k according to my manual. If the 6 quart box goes to more than conventional 5w20 then I would not hesitate to go conventional. Heck I noticed the Havoline conventional 5w20 is only 14.99 so it is 5.00 cheaper and no I don't do rebates as it ties up money.

I can say first hand that Harley lifter failures increased when they switched vendors a few years back, coincidence or inferior parts?

Yep Triple_Se7en ... the best price for the product that does the job makes it the best return on investment ... the rebates make some synthetics an excellent deal... but if the same job could be performed with a lesser cost product, then that is the best return on investment... whether or not the extra bucks make a difference or not to the individual then becomes the question... some would jump for the synthetic just because it's close in price even though it isn't needed... and that's fine... the perceived benefit or peace of mind is worth it to some people... I've been guilty of it myself ! Bottom line is get the best deal on the best type of product needed for the application and you'll have the best return on your investment !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back