Snowblower coatings?

My 5 hp was a ''brick'' maker in wet stuff. Going to 8 hp no more issues. And I tried everything on the 5 hp to stop the wet sticking on it.
For me it was there is no replacement for displacement.

I used silicone spray, wd-40, pb-50 multi purpose lube. whatever I had out in the garage, even a rag with some used oil will do.

I don't think there is any magic solution to keep snow from building up during use.

What I'm going to try this Winter is clean the snow-thrower real good 'after' using.
Brush off most of snow, then use a Heat-Gun and melt any snow off before parking it in the garage (GFCI will be used).
And I will also add, use a Safety Stick for unclogging the chute, NOT YOUR HAND.
My Uncles Father cut all his fingers off reaching into the chute.

My 5 hp was a ''brick'' maker in wet stuff. Going to 8 hp no more issues. And I tried everything on the 5 hp to stop the wet sticking on it.
For me it was there is no replacement for displacement.
This, this, and more this. 10hp for me, and it laughs at whatever I put in front of it.

I was at Lowe's today and I see they sell an Ariens product called Snow-Jet to stop the snow from sticking. It "only" costs $9.99 for an 11 oz spray can :rolleyes:.

I gave PAM a try on the snow blower since I found a can in the cupboard. Seems like it coated real nice, no drippy mess. Then used some on the BBQ grill cooking up a couple steaks.

Anybody try the Snowblower Impeller Modification hack to prevent snow from clogging the chute? I was going to give it a try.

I did it a couple seasons ago. My machine is almost 20 years old now. This revived it back to its early years. I have a Yardmachine made by MTD with a Techumseh engine.

Just my $0.02

1637763355062.jpg

I did the "Clarence kit" (rubber paddles) in an old toro. Hated it.

When it's parked, there forms a tablespoon size pool of water in the aft end of the auger housing. It freezes, sure enough, and often freezes the rubber paddle too. Next time I go to engage it I smoke a belt.

You might say, oh, well, clean all the snow out. Yeah, I try. But then I park the thing for a week and it never gets above freezing. Might work in a different climate.

When it's parked, there forms a tablespoon size pool of water in the aft end of the auger housing. It freezes, sure enough, and often freezes the rubber paddle too. Next time I go to engage it I smoke a belt.

You might say, oh, well, clean all the snow out. Yeah, I try. But then I park the thing for a week and it never gets above freezing. Might work in a different climate.
I did the "Clarence kit" also and love it. It made an under powered but light and maneuverable snow blower, needed for my driveway, into a decent snow thrower. But I store my blower in my semi heated garage so the little snow I don't manage to remove just melts.

Aaaallll right, just what the heck is a "Clarence kit" ??? Obviously, I have no idea.... enlighten me please.
It's a kit that affixes heavy duty rubber, think truck mud flap rubber, with a metal plate and screws to the impellers. It reduces the air space between the impeller and it's housing. This increases the snow throwing ability of the snow blower. In my case my 179cc 24" width Troy-Bilt has a 3/8" air gap between the metal impeller and it's housing. With the 5hp engine it could only throw dry snow any semi-decent distance, forget wet snow or end of driveway build up. With the impeller kit it can now easily throw heavy wet snow. "Clarence kit" is named for the person on Snowblower Forum who marketed these kits. Some people make there own that work well also.

Yep. Been down that road too. Had to make more clearance on my Clarence.

This is on my 20+ year old 7hp/24" Yardman snowblower. I cut pieces off an old single stage rubber auger and affixed them to the little 3-blade metal impeller with self tapping screws on fender washers. A little gorilla glue between rubber and metal too just for good measure.

Like you say, if you make it too tight, it's going to freeze on you in unheated storage.

It's a kit that affixes heavy duty rubber, think truck mud flap rubber, with a metal plate and screws to the impellers. It reduces the air space between the impeller and it's housing. This increases the snow throwing ability of the snow blower. In my case my 179cc 24" width Troy-Bilt has a 3/8" air gap between the metal impeller and it's housing. With the 5hp engine it could only throw dry snow any semi-decent distance, forget wet snow or end of driveway build up. With the impeller kit it can now easily throw heavy wet snow. "Clarence kit" is named for the person on Snowblower Forum who marketed these kits. Some people make there own that work well also.
Oh, I understand now Whimsey. Thank you for the explanation. That would not work on my 21-inch single stage Cub Cadet. Will mention this "kit" to son in law who has a TroyBilt 2 stage.

Back