snow blower does not like running for more than 10-15 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Vikas
It does not die like an electrical fault would do. It definitely seems to slowly runs out of enough fuel to keep it running and the lack of vent would be the most probable cause.

Can those gas cap be cleaned or I will need a new one? I guess I could drill a tiny hole in it?

I think if you drill it you'll be smelling gas vapors all the time till the tank dries out. I'd just order a new gas cap. But by all means see if it runs better with the existing gas cap loose first. Just curious how old is the snow blower? You could try to clean it first but I think most likely age has hardened the venting ports. A new cap can't be too expensive I would guess.

Whimsey

If it has a metal (usually metal, could be plastic) piece on the inside of the cap there should be a small hole above it, if not you can drill one there, the plate is to prevent splash out.
Unlike a car it does not have an evap system so it vent to the open air, there is not other way.

Basics- are you losing spark or fuel? You imply fuel but does it start with a shot of ether? My bet is valve clearance issues when everything warms up.

Last edited:
Thank God, it has not snowed in last few days! So, no update until I am forced to start the snow blower.

Thank God, it has not snowed in last few days! So, no update until I am forced to start the snow blower.

To be prepared I'd start and try to run it even if it's not needed yet. This is to see if it needs work before you actually need it. I made that mistake and tried to fire it up when I needed to blow snow and it didn't work, ugh! This happened twice, I learned my lesson
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Looks like I will have to do get the tool box out. Removing the gas cap did not make difference. Time to look at the carburetor.

Looks like I will have to do get the tool box out. Removing the gas cap did not make difference. Time to look at the carburetor.

I would look at the ignition heating up and loosing spark.

Originally Posted by tmorris1

The OP stated he can keep it running by pressing the primer bulb, doesn't sound like lack of spark to me.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by tmorris1

The OP stated he can keep it running by pressing the primer bulb, doesn't sound like lack of spark to me.

Correct, the carb is starving for fuel people. OP hits the primer bulb and it runs for a bit and dies. Go back to the basics, fuel, air and spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back