Snap-On Flank Drive Xtra (FDX) Sockets

I recently purchased these for a very decent price. Snap-On advertises them as a socket that can remove slightly damaged fasteners but may also be suitable for undamaged fasteners. I thought I would use them as a well-fitting everyday socket.

I tested the 10MM on two used, but undamaged (and pristine) fasteners on my Prius. These sockets fit VERY tight - I was unable to fully engage the socket by hand. I had to push down on the socket very hard using a long locking extension. Removal was equally challenging.

Unfortunately I do not have any damaged fasteners to test these on. But based on my limited use so far, I would not recommend these for use as an everyday socket.

Attachments

• IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 23
Interesting. Do they use the italicized “may” for use on other fasteners? Perhaps on subpar spec undersized fasteners?

What do they look like from a front view?

Do you think this will make the bolt head more usable than say, if you forced it off with a rocket socket?

I use the 8 mostly for either drive shaft bolts or transmission pan bolts. One of those I don’t want it to slip and round scenarios. But mostly the set goes unused till there are rounded bolts that come in that way or corroded to a little smaller profile

Still a great set to have if it was a deal but again I might be a tool hoarder at times

Back