SN+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way I got this last week from ILMA:

Originally Posted By: ILMA
API SN Plus Category Update
The API Lubes Standards Committee met on September 14 to discuss the adoption of the new supplemental category "API SN Plus," requested by the International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) on behalf of the domestic automakers. This supplemental category is expected to meet current API SN requirements, plus include the new low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) test that provides protection for newer models vehicles equipped with turbocharged direct-injection gasoline engines. ILSAC has requested a first use date of January 1, 2018. ILMA was represented at the meeting by its longtime industry consultant, Larry Kuntschik.

Here are the key takeaways from the API Committee meeting:
1. API has not agreed to the January 1, 2018 first use date; however, it is not unreasonable for ILMA members to be prepared for an introduction of the supplemental category in the first quarter of next year.
2. The new API license symbol (i.e., donut) likely will reflect "API SN Plus" in the lower quadrant of the donut.
3. Testing is now available to certify that formulations will meet the new requirements. While there has been a lot of attention focused on the SAE 0W-16 viscosity grade, there are more engines on the road calling for SAE 5W-20 and SAE 5W-30 oils that are subject to LPSI effects. API is working to include all current API SN viscosity grades in the adoption of API SN Plus.
4. ILMA members should review their makreting plans for the API SN Plus category, including validatingh with individual additive suppliers that current products will meet the requirements of the new supplemental category.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
I think it's a question of perspective...

It's perfectly okay to be in the 'risk management' business, which I think is what the OEMs position is all about. They've discovered there is this 'thing' which might happen called LSPI. It's a rare condition, it might have something to do with fuel and it might have something to do with oil. If conditions are all aligned, it might inflict such force on a piston that it can fracture piston lands and bend con-rods. It might massively increase warranty costs. I really can understand why they would want the usual panoply of testing to ensure such an awful scenario never, ever arises.

I also think my perspective on the problem is equally valid. My position, in a nutshell, is that GDI engines are an existing reality; not just in the US but everywhere and have been for several years...so where are all these dead engines??? If LSPI was a reality in fact, as opposed to a conceptual risk, there would be thousands and thousands of dead engines, regardless of whether the market share of GDIs was 50% or 5%. So where are they? Is there a massive OEM cover-up to shield us from the horrors of what bad oil is doing to GDI engines? I do love a good conspiracy theory me, but even I have problems with this one.

Two opinions. Both valid.

It seems like the focus for LSPI is on turbo DI engines, not the whole class of GDI engines. My perception is that DIT was a small subset of engines sold until fairly recently, with GM and Honda (at the very least) now putting them into some of their best selling passenger vehicles in the latest model years. I'd say the problem shows signs of exploding with the GM 1.5l DITs being recalled, and part of their solution to the problem was to limit the types of oil that their customers could use in those engines.
The big mystery to me is the Ecoboosts, which have been selling in good numbers for a while and seem to have avoided the LSPI specter to a great extent. Does Ford have some engine design secret to avoid the problem, is Motorcraft oil LSPI resistant, or...????
Again, some DIT engines have been recalled in the past due to engine damage ranging from eroded spark plugs to cracked pistons. I went through a recall for it and my leakdown tests were fine, the tech said my spark plugs were "...OK..." (that's exactly how he said it) but recommended a replacement at the part cost. But, I had already been using low calcium M1 for some time due to BITOG opening my eyes to LSPI. I'd say that anybody who has had the engine replaced in their Veloster Turbo, Malibu, or WRX probably would be of the opinion that LSPI is a big deal!

Notes from Infineum on SN+ embedded in a GF6 discussion...
"LSPI. This test will be included in the API SN Plus supplement. As with the chain wear test, the key need is to approve a controlled batch of hardware. Work that needs to be completed includes establishing the correlation for the new batch of pistons, inclusion of the test into the Code of Practice and running the BOI/VGRA matrix to establish BOI/VGRA guidelines.

The LSPI Task Force also needs to address the issue of retroactive LSPI calibration and test registration, with a pressing need to approve products to meet the new API SN Plus supplement."

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Notes from Infineum on SN+ embedded in a GF6 discussion...
"LSPI. This test will be included in the API SN Plus supplement. As with the chain wear test, the key need is to approve a controlled batch of hardware. Work that needs to be completed includes establishing the correlation for the new batch of pistons, inclusion of the test into the Code of Practice and running the BOI/VGRA matrix to establish BOI/VGRA guidelines.

The LSPI Task Force also needs to address the issue of retroactive LSPI calibration and test registration, with a pressing need to approve products to meet the new API SN Plus supplement."

Apologies. It's simply a matter of semantics. Over here, virtually all GDI engines now come with a small turbo (or very occasionally with a super-charger). We have Vauxhall (GM) Ecotecs, Ford EcoBoosts, VW/Seat/Skoda TFSIs, Suzuki with their BoosterJets, Kia/Hyundai with T-GDI, Nissan/Renault/Dacia's TCe, Peugeot/Citroen's Puretech, etc. Nowerdays, these engines are almost the default setting for all but the lowest/cheapest level of cars. If there is a massive problem with LSPI damaging engines in Europe, I'm certainly not hearing about it.

If you do ever find a picture of a piston with a shattered piston land on Google, it's invariably due to some nutter trying to add even more boost to his VW Twin Turbo engine, in which case the damage is down to your own stupidity, not any fault of the oil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back