Small form-factor, bare-bone PC recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
How do you run a computer without the operating system?

You install one of your choice.

OP just doesn't want to buy a computer with OS already included as that usually costs more. Maybe he has a spare Windows license that he can use, or maybe he'll install Linux or some other free OS.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Or, you don't, and you get a boot loop that says "operating system not found, press any key to continue". Technically, even that computer is still "running"
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Or, you don't, and you get a boot loop that says "operating system not found, press any key to continue". Technically, even that computer is still "running"
lol.gif

Or you just take it with you for a jog.
smile.gif

How much cheaper could it be without an OS? And I can't imagine you can transfer it from another computer. Isn't it locked to the hardware?

I've never found much savings, and trying to buy a Linux or Chrome OS machine costs more than a comparable Windows machine. Check out the prices over at System76
crazy2.gif

I can get a much nicer Dell for less.

That's what I mean. It's like ordering a new car without a radio because you want use your own. You might save $50 but why bother.

When i was buying my Intel NUC some 5 years ago, there was about a $100 premium for getting one with Windows. So I got one without Windows and am running it with Ubuntu which suits me just fine. Not sure what the price differences are today.

My guess is in the refurb/used market, there isn't much difference.

Yea, from what I've see. It's usually around $100 cheaper, but considering a "new" Windows license will run you about $150, you can tell it's heavily subsidized.

Try Linux, there are more flavors than Baskin Robbins, and something should suit your fancy. Almost all of them are free.

Intel NUC or any of the USFF "business" spec machines(Dell Optiplex, HP Elite, Lenovo ThinkCentre/ThinkStation). I have a Lenovo M92P Tiny I'm going to turn into a 'nix rig to cut my chops on Kubernetes with.

OP just doesn't want to buy a computer with OS already included as that usually costs more. Maybe he has a spare Windows license that he can use, or maybe he'll install Linux or some other free OS.

How much extra is it going to be?

Originally Posted by PandaBear

How much extra is it going to be?

I already gave my answer up above.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-bare-bone-pc-recommendation#Post5347456

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back