Small eggs

I've never consumed enough eggs to obsess about them. Generic Kroger eggs have been good enough for me.

They are easy. Use ice water soak, always works for me.
Tried that. Didn't work.
1647740760357.jpg

Dunno. I enjoy an egg or two on a daily basis. I’ve recently tried fried eggs or scrambled with a lick of olive oil instead of the usual butter or non stick spray.
You should try some avocado oil, it has a buttery taste to it or almond oil adds bit of nutty taste to the egg.

As far as size goes when I get farm fresh eggs they are all different sizes but what amazes me is the yokes seems to be similar in size.

Store bought eggs seemed to have changed over the years, what was a large egg seems to be more medium now, I usually buy extra-large.

Last edited:
You should try some avocado oil, it has a buttery taste to it or almond oil adds bit of nutty taste to the egg.

As far as size goes when I get farm fresh eggs they are all different sizes but what amazes me is the yokes seems to be similar in size.

Store bought eggs seemed to have changed over the years, what was a large egg seems to be more medium now, I usually buy extra-large.
I’ll try that. Have avocado oil in the pantry.

glad da docs reversed their rating on eggs, acceptable now.
I like sunny side up or in baking.
Hens are pretty quiet. Would U think life is balanced w/1 gender around? We need the roosters for the right community (plus they will sscrifice themselves to protect the hens). Fresh will stand up to cooking, be yellowier too. Don't like the sharp beaks so a few ducks keep me happy, rubber-ie eggs tho. We have banties who hop up on branches when the bobcat come. They have pretty small eggs so I use 2 to = 1 "large" egg.

I thought that was to prevent the yolk membrane from turning green.

That one is unknown to me. I was out with a Culinary Institute grad bitxxxn and moaning about hard boiled eggs. We go through 5/6 dozen a week with about 75% hard boiled. Her instructions:

Eggs removed from refrigeration for 10 min minimum
Water to rolling boil - THEN place eggs in
Boil for 14-16 min (if temp cools off the boil, wait to time until boil returns)
Egss into bowl with water and ice for 5 minute
Smack the ends a few times, roll it, and peel

I have been doing it this way for many years and its as easy as it gets. 90% of the shells come off in a few large pieces.

glad da docs reversed their rating on eggs, acceptable now.
I like sunny side up or in baking.
Hens are pretty quiet. Would U think life is balanced w/1 gender around? We need the roosters for the right community (plus they will sscrifice themselves to protect the hens). Fresh will stand up to cooking, be yellowier too. Don't like the sharp beaks so a few ducks keep me happy, rubber-ie eggs tho. We have banties who hop up on branches when the bobcat come. They have pretty small eggs so I use 2 to = 1 "large" egg.

Wasn't quite the doctors. Back when the larger food manufacturers like General Mills, Kellogs, the big ones wanted people to buy cereal they needed a way for Mom, yes back then it was all Mom! to end the egg habit. Human nature says it's easier to vilify than change a mind so they used their power to vilify eggs and created a positive campaign extolling the virtues of cereals. Not the whole story but it was a big part of it.

That one is unknown to me. I was out with a Culinary Institute grad bitxxxn and moaning about hard boiled eggs. We go through 5/6 dozen a week with about 75% hard boiled. Her instructions:

Eggs removed from refrigeration for 10 min minimum
Water to rolling boil - THEN place eggs in
Boil for 14-16 min (if temp cools off the boil, wait to time until boil returns)
Egss into bowl with water and ice for 5 minute
Smack the ends a few times, roll it, and peel

I have been doing it this way for many years and its as easy as it gets. 90% of the shells come off in a few large pieces.
Well BISCUT, I tried this method and it seems to work very well. If you don’t need them immediately like I didn’t a night in the fridge appeared to help even more. Regardless a worthwhile approach to a nagging problem. My dear Polish wife has a different take on almost everything.She still can’t figure out why the new squeeze ketchup bottles have to be stored cap side down. She thinks they made a mistake and printed the labels upside down. Bought her an oven thermometer that hangs on the rack to help her baking experiments, it’s the first thing she removes and puts on the counter before starting the oven. “It gets too hot” she says. Send help..

Apple

People in NJ have no idea where eggs come from.If you asked 100 of them 98 would say, they come off a truck. I could just imagine the fit my HOA would have if I started raising hens for eggs! Ain’t happening.
Central NJ has a lot of old commercial chicken coops. Some have been converted for other businesses or for storage. Many, most, are collapsing. There are still three or four egg producers here.

I started researching it, and apparently the US has requirements that at least Europe doesn't have. Grade A eggs apparently have to be washed and stripped to remove any contaminants outside the shell. But in Europe, eggs have to be sold unwashed, where there's a protective layer and they're usually sold unrefrigerated.

I don't think I've ever seen a chicken egg that wasn't stripped of the cuticle, which should look somewhat green.

Cleaning-Eggs.png

Straight out of the hen box ever morning 12to 15 a day. Them are as true free range as you can get.
E07CC205-BA84-4F3E-AAAA-1B955500371E.jpeg
1752B787-7675-40C4-8F37-B9BD87808B0B.jpeg

..."Wasn't quite the doctors."
mine said: "too much cholesterol" now: "It's OK"
A switch on shell fish too.
But I DO see ur "quite" in the sentence...science is supposed ta B apolitical.
8^ )

Back