Small eggs

My parents managed to find a place that had 6 flats of "medium" brown eggs for $12. So that's 180, or 15 dozen. Somehow we ended up with half of them.

However, I've gotten medium eggs before, and these things seem a lot smaller. Like one step bigger than "fairy eggs" - or the teeny tiny ones that some hens occasionally lay. And they're really weird too since I like my eggs fried sunny side up, but the yolks were really weird how they sort of sat like little balls and didn't flatten out like with large or extra-large eggs. Tried hard boiling a bunch of them and for some reason they don't peel very well. Taste is OK though.

Eggs are tricky. I live in Central Jersey where you can still buy eggs straight from the farm. I like them, my wife doesn’t. What else is new. She swears by Egglands. Are they coast to coast? I won’t buy anything Land o Lakes since they scrubbed Mia during the woke fest. Local supermarket carried Sauder’s brand a while ago. Double yolks, a bit small but not bad

After boiling to your taste of yoke doneness, ice water for 5 min. Then peel. Should be around the right temp to avoid the membrane being a PITA.

Ate some Turkey eggs in my youth. Sorry can't remember if they were good or not. Amazing the on occasion the standard eggs at Hy-Vee have double yolks from time to time. They come from God's country in Iowa.

Eggs are tricky. I live in Central Jersey where you can still buy eggs straight from the farm. I like them, my wife doesn’t. What else is new. She swears by Egglands. Are they coast to coast? I won’t buy anything Land o Lakes since they scrubbed Mia during the woke fest. Local supermarket carried Sauder’s brand a while ago. Double yolks, a bit small but not bad
Same , land o lakes is banned here

Try quail eggs if you want a workout

The place my parents got them from has quail eggs and even duck eggs. The duck eggs were pretty pricey - like $12 for 30. I've gotten brined quail eggs from Asian markets. But they're already hard boiled and canned in brine, so it's not a whole lot of work.

Always a laugh reading post from who don’t raise their own hens for eggs Amazing what people come up with.

That's still cheaper than what I pay for decent chicken eggs around here.

Looked up the price, which is available online if I want to pick up. $15 for 20.

I think where I live it's legal to have live poultry, but I'm not about ready to raise hens. Besides that, the neighbors might complain about the noise.

Looked up the price, which is available online if I want to pick up. $15 for 20.

I think where I live it's legal to have live poultry, but I'm not about ready to raise hens. Besides that, the neighbors might complain about the noise.
lol

Apple
Always a laugh reading post from who don’t raise their own hens for eggs Amazing what people come up with.
People in NJ have no idea where eggs come from.If you asked 100 of them 98 would say, they come off a truck. I could just imagine the fit my HOA would have if I started raising hens for eggs! Ain’t happening.

Apple

People in NJ have no idea where eggs come from.If you asked 100 of them 98 would say, they come off a truck. I could just imagine the fit my HOA would have if I started raising hens for eggs! Ain’t happening.

I heard some radio segment on people who had decided to raise their own hens in Los Angeles in order to have fresh eggs. This guy was told that he needed to have a rooster to go with his hens or else they wouldn't lay eggs. That was a hit with the neighbors.

Of course they lay eggs with or without a rooster. But I guess with a rooster it might be interesting if someone really likes eating fertilized eggs. Aren't they called balut in the Philippines?

Dunno. I enjoy an egg or two on a daily basis. I’ve recently tried fried eggs or scrambled with a lick of olive oil instead of the usual butter or non stick spray.

Back