Sinopec Synthetic 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: zeng
Your concerns turn out to be valid, indeed in this instant .
Maybe...I am willing to give benefit of the doubt over the paperwork. VOA/UOA would give better insight as Dave suggested.
I agree. Out of sheer BITOG curiosity, it would be interesting to see a VOA and UOA on this. The reality is that there's probably nothing wrong with it. It's worth it to play and see how it turns out. It's not like the engine is going to seize up after 3k miles using this stuff. The certs are outdated and the parent company has no idea of how to properly clear paperwork, etc. The VOA puts your mind at east to put it in the crankcase. The UOA tells you how long it can stay there. I'd run it about 3k miles and take a UOA just for the sake of self-satisfaction. If it looks good, then run it to the IOLM limit and test again.
Out of morbid curiosity, I grabbed a 5 gallon pail of it (Amazon marked it down to $42.00 with free prime shipping). I will VOA it and go from there. If nothing else, it should suffice as a near lifetime supply of OPE oil.
grin.gif

Please share your results with everyone here, also if you could send a copy to Mr. Ying at [email protected]

Sinopec Tulux T600 syn is made with Chevron additives and Exxon Mobil base oil.

Also, please include the batch number located on the back side of the pail.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: KyleP33
Please share your results with everyone here, also if you could send a copy to Mr. Ying at [email protected]

Sinopec Tulux T600 syn is made with Chevron additives and Exxon Mobil base oil.

Also, please include the batch number located on the back side of the pail.

Thanks
Is there a Chevron Delo hat in it for me? LOL!

I am assuming that you work for Chevron?

I prefer oil fro a know quality mfg. It is cheaper and easier that way. Like oil filters from a major well known mfg,they will be easier to get compensation for the results of a failed filter.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I prefer oil fro a know quality mfg. It is cheaper and easier that way. Like oil filters from a major well known mfg,they will be easier to get compensation for the results of a failed filter.
I agree to a point. This oil was pretty cheap at $8.40 per gallon delivered ($42.00 for 5 gallons) and a VOA should show any flagrant issues with it. I am going to guess that diesel vehicles in Singapore are using this oil or something similar and not importing US or EU oil. I have visited Singapore a few times and many of the vehicles are "ran until the wheels fall off" and therefore, so I am going to assume this oil is decent and could be compared to a Supertech or similar. I will know soon enough, well, after the Polaris lab in Houston re-opens so I can drop off the sample.

Cracked open the pail today and took a sample to have a VOA performed. First time to purchase oil in a 5 gallon pail, but I liked the double seal on the container. The spout had a locking plastic "plate" on the outside and once removed and the extended the spout there was another seal that had a ring tab on it inside the spout. Visually the oil looks serviceable and did not have any strange odors. Shaking a 5 gallon pail has its own difficulties, but here are a few pictures (VOA to follow soon):

EKtUvw.jpg

3boNF1.jpg

dAD2Yq.jpg

You'd think Chevron would have the resources to buy a pail of this oil and use their own labs to test it. So, maybe the hat is out of the question.

Originally Posted By: Garak

You'd think Chevron would have the resources to buy a pail of this oil and use their own labs to test it. So, maybe the hat is out of the question.
Haha...yes, I am thinking the same
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
By the way, happy birthday!
Many thanks Garak!

I have visited Singapore a few times and many of the vehicles are "ran until the wheels fall off" and therefore,.......

That sounds like you were refering to Malaysia , among others.
laugh.gif

Any update or UOA?

Is it a full synthetic? Is it really blended with Chevron and ExxonMobil products?

Did Mr. Yang ever send you a hat?

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Any update or UOA? Is it a full synthetic? Is it really blended with Chevron and ExxonMobil products? Did Mr. Yang ever send you a hat?
I have not used any of it yet, but I have an OC coming up soon and will try some. I have no way of determining the base stock origin, though the VOA appeared to be inline with the majors. The mysterious Mr. Yang never commented any further and my take on it/him is (in the words of Click and Clack the tappet brothers) boooogus! No "real" Chevron employee is going to come on an oil forum and ask a member to send the results from a VOA/UOA to them.

The VOA puts your mind at east......

You don't really want your mind there. Can lead to "smoke and mirrors" thinking:)

Originally Posted By: Ducked

The VOA puts your mind at east......

You don't really want your mind there. Can lead to "smoke and mirrors" thinking:)

Some kind of smoke, eh?
wink.gif

Kudos to 2015_PSD for trying this oil and sticking his neck out with an expensive motor. He minimized his risk by doing a VOA . I worked for a year in Singapore putting the final touches on the construction of a drills hip and found the technical help and expertise in the shipyard to be knowledgable a and hard working . I don't foresee a problem with that oil being mixed there. I hope everything works out well and a UOA deremines that oil to be either syn or semi-syn and have Chevron additives and Exxon base. My compliments to you for trying something no-one here(including me) was willing to do.

Originally Posted By: KyleP33
Sinopec 15W40 Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil - 5 Gallon Pail | Price: $44.95
Free shipping or Free pickup + discount Sinopec 15W40 Syn 5 Gal

Don’t worry about any of the Chinese oil companies getting too big in the US … FCPA fines will eat up all profits …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back