Sighting a handgun

Brand new Beretta 92FS, and my older Smith & Wesson 5904
Nice gun.

I was never a Beretta fan, but they are superb sidearms for sure. Do you have much experience with shooting? Do you carry?

I will be shooting from a rest with sandbags
OK, then it will not really matter the distance. 25 yards should be easy with the proper fundamentals. That M9 should do 100 yards from a sandbag.

You will find at 50 yards the hits will be high, at 100 they might be higher, depending on how tight and steady you hold the gun.

Post some pictures.

My first gun was a 5906, carried it in combat, in fact. My wife’s nightstand gun is a 92 FS. Very similar in terms of functionality, capacity, and controls. Both represent a different era, when a firearm was finely crafted. All around, the manufacturing cost are much higher than the polymer framed ones, but there’s just something attractive about the old school, quality of machining, and precision with which they were made.

Last edited:
My first gun was a 5906, carried it in combat, in fact. My wife’s nightstand gun is a 92 FS. Very similar in terms of functionality, capacity, and controls. Both represent a different era, when a firearm was finally crafted. All around, the manufacturing cost are much higher than the polymer framed ones, and there’s just something attractive about the old school, quality of machining, and precision with which they were made.
It's why i keep my ruger P90. I just like how it looks.
IMG_20240127_144715368.jpg

You can essentially do MPBR with a pistol red dot by sighting in at 10 yards and adjusting elevation based on how high or low you also hit at 5 and 25 yards. Adjust elevation so that the point of impact is roughly equally “off” at 5 and 25 yards.

This is often highly sensitive to ammo selection.

If I don't have any better targets, I will use a paper plate with a 3" Orange dot in the middle. I use a 2" orange dot for off hand 22lr rifle practice at 50 yards. It is a challenge for me.

If I don't have any better targets, I will use a paper plate with a 3" Orange dot in the middle. I use a 2" orange dot for off hand 22lr rifle practice at 50 yards. It is a challenge for me.
That is exactly what I’m doing!

Some say they aren't purty. I disagree. And the 90's had quite the reputation for being more accurate than the shooters themselves. I miss all of mine.

My old eyes struggle to shoot at 75 yards. Heck, they struggle at 25.
When the P90 first came out, Massad Ayoob really liked them.

I know what you mean, I've gone to a red dot pistol that co-witnesses the iron sights.

Didn’t say it was issued, said I carried it. Had the parachute riggers make up a special holster for it.

Wasn’t a fan of the five shot S&W .38 Special revolver issued at the time, so I brought my own.
Oh, I just assumed issued as opposed to carried. Thanks for your service.

Do you have a picture of the holster?

Oh, I just assumed issued as opposed to carried. Thanks for your service.

Do you have a picture of the holster?
I do. Not much to look at, but a memento. Desert Camo circa 1990.

The holster is a bit dirty and worn. The magazine pouch was carried inside my survival gear vest. All items inside that vest were tied into it, so they couldn’t be dropped into the water and lost, that’s what the red string was for.

I carried it with an empty chamber, full mag. Two spare mags.

I wasn’t sure, back then, about a semi-auto in an ejection. Now, I would be fine with one in the chamber.

IMG_2822.jpeg

Back