Loose Fiber Optic Sight

I‘ve owned a Colt Gold Cup Trophy for several years which admittedly is somewhat of a safe queen since I only shoot it on rare occasions. I have a Commander which I routinely shoot among others in rotation. While shooting the Trophy last week, the front fiber optic sight fell out which I recovered. It’s the only handgun I own with this type of sight.

In looking online on how to securely reinstall it I found various ways to do so. Gluing or heating (slightly melting) seem to be what was recommended although some would not recommend gluing. Any ideas?

if its just the rod , jut cut a piece of rod ,insert in and use a lighter to make a blob. let it cool, then push it in and use nail clippers to clip the other end just slightly lond and melt the other end. how much you leave on each end will dictate how big the blob you see at the end. avoid gluing as fiber optic needs to be change occasioanally if you shoot it a lot . its also a good time to change colors if desired

if its just the rod , jut cut a piece of rod ,insert in and use a lighter to make a blob. let it cool, then push it in and use nail clippers to clip the other end just slightly lond and melt the other end. how much you leave on each end will dictate how big the blob you see at the end. avoid gluing as fiber optic needs to be change occasioanally if you shoot it a lot . its also a good time to change colors if desired
Thanks for the advice. Though technically an easy fix, I posted the question because I read that by putting a substance (glue) on the fiber optic, or by slightly melting it, it could somehow affect the overall ability of the sight to gather and transmit light to it’s designed potential.

Thanks again.

It's a pretty easy fix as @CarLuver explained. It can be a little frustrating the first time around ESPECIALLY for those of us with large(r) hands. I bought a multi pack of red/green/yellow rods and practiced with a few to get the touch of just how much or little heat is needed and to get the correct sizing. Some trail and error is all it takes to get you back to shooting.

This right here, I've probably done it over 100 times not exaggerating.

If it has a red fibre I would suggest trying green.

There are two common sizes out there so keep that in mind. I can't recall what they are to be honest, I've stocked up both sizes so haven't had to buy it in a long time. In my range bag I keep some rods, light and nail clippers in a little baggie.

Back