Sighting a handgun

I do. Not much to look at, but a memento. Desert Camo circa 1990.

The holster is a bit dirty and worn. The magazine pouch was carried inside my survival gear vest. All items inside that vest were tied into it, so they couldn’t be dropped into the water and lost, that’s what the red string was for.

I carried it with an empty chamber, full mag. Two spare mags.

I wasn’t sure, back then, about a semi-auto in an ejection. Now, I would be fine with one in the chamber.

View attachment 200668
Very cool, utilitarian. Love the cookie camo, complete with bowline knot.

You received a lot of good answers here.
There are still some 2 cents left to add for me if I may:

Even though I am a very expereinced shooter that has shot competitively , these days I rarely practice or sight-in further than 21feet.
That is the common, maxmimum, real world engagement distance of a handgun.

Is it fun to show up your buddies at 150 feet?

Sure, but it will lead to aiming habits that will slow you down real world, when hitting quickly at 20feet or less , is critical rather than making small groups over a distance that will impress the other range lizards.

Very cool, utilitarian. Love the cookie camo, complete with bowline knot.
Thanks - Things were a lot different back then. Most of us in the F-14 community carried our own, so did most of the Airwing. No way you could do that these days. However, these days, the M11 is a good choice. I’ve qualified with that a couple of times when I was still in the Navy and like it.

The Ruger P89 was popular in my squadron, most of the guys had one, because the one gun guy in our squadron recommended it. I talked with my neighbor, a VB police officer, and took her recommendation for the 5906.

Sorry to take the thread off topic, my recommendation for sighting in the OP’s new gun stands.

As far as shooting at long distance, and small groups to impress “Range Lizards”, it depends why you’re shooting. If it’s for the challenge of marksmanship, stretch it out and go for small groups. If you’re training for a defensive scenario, then speed matters.

Just remember that speed matters, but accuracy is final. Rapid fire that impacts the edge of the target is not training, it’s just wasting ammo. Start with accuracy - build up to speed - while maintaining “good enough” accuracy.

Sighting in a new 9mm handgun. What distance and type of paper targets should I use?
What are you sighting in a scope or the new optics. I see no firearm pics so I’ll go first
IMG_2203.jpg
IMG_0417.jpeg
IMG_2154.jpeg

Back