Shudder at idle - 03 Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today we took the Expedition on a day trip out of state. After am uneventful drive there and almost back we stopped at a gas station for a pit stop. After driving a little over 100 miles between 65-75 continuous we pulled off the interstate and came to a red light. Immediately the car had what felt like a rough idle, but the tach was dead on where it was supposed to be with no fluctuation. I'm wondering if this could be the transmission and the torque converter shudder that I have heard of, though usually I only hear about it during overdrive lockup. I did a drain and fill last year. Can't remember the exact fluid but I believe it was Merc V. Getting ready to do another drain and fill in a couple of weeks and I might look to a bottle of Lube Guard Red if the condition persists. Anyone have any insight. It is a 2003 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition, 2wd. I believe that it has the 4R70W.

1. How many miles does it have?

2. How often do you get it out on the highway?

3. When was the last time you did the plugs wires and coil pack?

Just curious.

I actually had a weirdly similar problem with my 1991 Honda Accord. I have yet to find out what is causing it but it's doing exactly what your expedition is doing. Other than hearing and feeling a miss there is no other symptoms. This is a pretty strange coincidence.

I vote for either cruddy fuel or ignition components. I know the shudder you speak of because it has happened before in my F150. Just for grins, make sure all your plugs are torqued to spec and run some fuel system cleaner through a tank.

Car has ~105,000. Had the plugs replaced recently. Have to check my records, but it was within the last 10k. Also replaced a bad coil and all the boots as well just in case. When I fill it up I always use Chevron or Texaco gas but who knows what the wife puts in there when I don't do it. Caught her trying to go to the el cheapo gas station the other day, so I suspect it gets that from time to time. I just dumped a bottle of Techron in it tonight and I also have a bottle of Redline cleaner in the garage too if I feel that it is needed. It is usually a day tripper car only, and gets out on the highway every so often when we have trips to go on, but the last trip was within the last month and it was about a 4 hour round trip drive

Just a guess, how many miles on the fuel filter. Sometimes when you add fuel you will stir up some dirt on the bottom of the tank, and if the fuel filter is on the verge of having too much restriction, the additional dirt could be all that is required to cause too much restriction.

We had a vehicle that would act up, and seafoam in the tank cleared it up. The problem kept coming back sooner and sooner, each time two cans of seafoam in a full tank of gas cleared it up. Changed the fuel filter and the problem has not come back.

i was getting a rough idle on my caliber at idle and i use BERRYMAN B-12 Chemtool Fuel System Cleaner. This stuff was recommended by the car dealership. Presto-no more roughness!!! i beleive it burned out the bad gas or particles

It could be just a little carbon junk on the EGR seat from running high EGR flow for an extended time.
If it is it will usually clear on its own in a few runs,nothing in the tank or oil or sucked down a vacuum tube can help.

This was common on the older 2V engines,mine got so bad i swapped the EGR out for a new one and its been smooth ever since.
There is a TSB on the 2V ones but not yours but the condition could still exist.
See how it goes,it could just be some iffy gas as someone mentioned.

It only does it in gear. If I go to neutral or park, there is no shudder. That doesn't necessarily mean the trans but that is what had me thinking that it might be. Although it could be the load against the motor causing the vibration/shudder. The tach holds rock steady though, which makes me think that it might not be ignition related as there is no dip there. I'll have to see if there is any vacuum issues/leaks.

Its the load from the trans showing a marginal cyl. The tach wont move alot because the amount it is changing is so slight its almost not there. Keep in mind a normal engine will bounce around a bit, probably +-25 rpm from desired which you would only see with a digital.

bad ignition coil, or spark plug could be getting ready to say goodbye. The coil will show itself more under load. Have it scanned...i bet you have a pending misfire code if not current.

Last edited:
probably isnt bad "enough" yet to throw a MIL. But if you say its shuddering a bit now, it will eventually.

So i did two things and I'm not sure which one helped or not. The shudder is gone. I did a drain and fill last year, but i believe some DexIII/Merc made its way in with the Mercon V. I added some Lubeguard Red. I also ran a bottle of Techron through the last tank. I'll be doing another drain and fill soon and be making sure to use something that meets Marc V. Probably use Chevron/Havoline Multi-Vehicle if my local distributor ever comes through. It's around $44 a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back