Should stock BuyBacks be legal or illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Amazon needs to be broken up into separate companies..its to big, controls the news coming out of washington by its CEO owning the Washington Post, controls retail sales, controls data and information services in the home.

1. Retail Division
2. Internet Division
3. News Division

Same with google and all the others.

AS far as how they invest their profits, that is up to them not the workers, if the workers dont like it, they can quit or form a union. Too Bad.
Its still a free country and all some people can do is whine and cry on how unfair the FREE world is.. just plain stupid.

Interesting...
You start by saying Amazon is too big and needs to be split up.
Then you say the if workers don't like it they can unionize or quit.

Is the free world free do improve and grow or not?
Isn't that kinda playing it both ways?
Just askin'...

No (just answering *L*)
Workers are free to do what they want, companies are free to do what they want. However they are not allowed to grow so large to control and monopolize other industries and their workers. They never have been, this is nothing new.

However this thread is about adding new laws telling people and companies, from dysfunctional lawmakers no less who can not control the USA spending as it is, how individuals and companies spend the profits from their own companies! Come on already! :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SeaJay
Last I looked, Amazon doesn't "controls retail sales" as posted. Big yes, but does not control. Walmart and a few others are doing quite well these days. Owning one newspaper isn't equal to controlling politics, or even controlling the news.

Whoever thought we would say THANK GOD FOR WALMART! Yes, I support them all I can.
Amazon su+cks.

Ownership of newspapers and press, TV stations, cable TV, satellite, radio stations, in the form of licenses has always been controlled by government to prevent undue influence over the American people.
Preventing companies like Amazon, one of the most richest companies in the world that now controls media subscriptions going to your TV and computers, to retail, to owning the most influence newspaper in the United States of America and based in the Capital of this great country.

Umm... well, if someone thinks that is ok, then well, you get who you vote for because, its known, the political positions of the Amazon CEO and if you think that is fair to many (not all) brain dead voters ... well then I got a bridge for you.

(just talking here and having fun) but VERY true.

Last edited:
A company with excess COH is in a dangerous position.
That cash hoard can be used by a raider to finance a hostile takeover.
The company could pay that cash out as dividends, but doing so subjects many holders to unwanted tax liability, so a simple way of giving this money back to the holders is to buy in company stock.
A better way would be to invest in the business which would also bring higher share values, but that would require a level of management expertise that few large companies seem to have. Another potential method would be to integrate horizontally as Southwest, Delta, United and US Air, dba American have done, but that requires savvy in dealing with the anti-trust folks which most managements seem to lack.
Despite all of the cant above in this thread, we do not live and work in a true free market economy and this has been true since long before the founding of our republic.
Ever hear of the Hudson Bay Company?
Ever wonder how the transcontinental railways got built?
Ever wondered how only a few firms have come to dominate military procurement where there were once many?
These are but three examples of the governments of the time picking winners and losers.
It has ever been thus and remains so to this day.
Ever hear of the golden rule?
It means that the guy with the most gold rules and this has ever been the case.

My read from the original post was the "promise" or "idea" that the corporate tax breaks would be used to reinvest in the company, raise wages; generally to improve the lot of the working man.
Well, how's that workin' for ya?

The bottom line is, a company's purpose is to maximize the wealth of the shareholders.
Stock buybacks are a good way to do this if treasury cash is available.
A company can buy their own stock on the open market just like anyone else (except during insider blackouts).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My read from the original post was the "promise" or "idea" that the corporate tax breaks would be used to reinvest in the company, raise wages; generally to improve the lot of the working man.
Well, how's that workin' for ya?

The bottom line is, a company's purpose is to maximize the wealth of the shareholders.
Stock buybacks are a good way to do this if treasury cash is available.
A company can buy their own stock on the open market just like anyone else (except during insider blackouts).

Economy is in pretty good shape,I lost track how many times the Fed had to raise interest rates to slow down the economy in the last 2 years.
Was it 5 times?
Investors are doing well, mom and pop who dont invest are doing much better as savings rates climb directly with the Fed Increases.
General population has a few more dollars in their paychecks due to the new reduced tax brackets.
Unemployment at a historical low.

I mean, at this point, you have to take charge of your own life if you are unhappy with your income. Its not up to government, if you wait for that, then I have a bridge to sell you, once government
takes care of this, then lets talk ... :eek:)

If you want to be a free people, then take charge of your lives. :eek:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back