Should I go 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
KCJeep said:
Yet another Ford that's been run on 5w20 it's whole life that now has consumption. From what I saw with Crown Vics, consumption will go through the roof by 120k.

It makes you wonder doesn't it? I made the change from 5W20 to 5W30 in both my Jeeps, and I'm not looking back, even after all the 5W20 success stories I read from time to time here.

OP-Give 0W40 a shot, you have nothing to lose.

It doesn't make me wonder as hundreds of thousands of CVs and Merc GMs are performing quite well on 20wt oils. Many well over 120K. [/quote

Our 2005 4.6 Explorer has run all but 1 oil change of it's 194,500 mile life using 0/5W-20 oil. Even in 8,000+ mile OC with the 0/5W-20 oil usage is very minimal, not needing to add any additional oil between OC's. Just saying, not endorsing
grin.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Yet another Ford that's been run on 5w20 it's whole life that now has consumption. From what I saw with Crown Vics, consumption will go through the roof by 120k.

Try a run with 0w40, won't hurt a thing, I am betting you will like the way it starts and runs and consumption is likely to go down as well.

I got my Lincoln at 76k I'm sure it had 20 grades from new as well, it uses a little oil (not much, but the only car I have that uses any including a 191k Chevy). I'm hoping I got to it soon enough that it won't increase much.

Actually it’s been burning the same amount since I bought the truck with 37k on it. 95k now.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
It doesn't make me wonder as hundreds of thousands of CVs and Merc GMs are performing quite well on 20wt oils. Many well over 120K.

There are probably just as many living on 5w-30 too, especially after they reach 75K-100K miles. All I know is that the 4.6L was originally designed (1990's) by Ford engineers to run on 5w-30. That's good enough for me.

+1 Probably more, a lot more living or lived on 5W30. Lets not forget Ford recently changing some of their 5W20 spec'd engines to 5W30. I recall reading here it was probably to reduce warranty claims.
wink.gif

Different engine, but I had massively wild swings in consumption in my 5.4L 2V depending on what oil was in it. M1 0w-40 didn't consume, but then neither did D1 5w-40. When I tried AMSOIL AZO 0w-30, it drank 3L over my OCI, that was by far the worst.

I ended up settling on M1 AFE 0w-30 in it, which didn't consume any discernible amount over an OCI and had excellent extreme cold performance. It was also nice that it could be purchased on sale at CT, though my first batch of it was purchased stateside by former member StevieC, who used to cross over frequently and graciously agreed to pick some up for me.

Sometimes the oil burning is caused by a failed PCV valve. If your truck has one, I suggest replacing it (Use OEM or Motorcraft only) and seeing if consumption does down. If the PCV valve is the problem, oil viscosity will not make much of a difference.

I say you replace your PCV valve, then use 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back