Short OCI without changing filter

Got a 22 wrx that I put 0w20 PUP but should have put 5w30 instead since I'm changing to 5w30. Would it be OK to leave the oem subaru filter on and drain the 0w20 and refill with 5w30?

It's very easy to change filter and is like $10, but curious what people think. I've only got 500 miles on oil and filter and do 3-3.5k OCI. So filter would have 4k or less miles by the time I changed it.

Got a 22 wrx that I put 0w20 PUP but should have put 5w30 instead since I'm changing to 5w30. Would it be OK to leave the oem subaru filter on and drain the 0w20 and refill with 5w30?

It's very easy to change filter and is like $10, but curious what people think. I've only got 500 miles on oil and filter and do 3-3.5k OCI. So filter would have 4k or less miles by the time I changed it.

I don't see anything wrong with leaving the filter. Changing the filter after 500 miles would be completely unnecessary.

I don't see anything wrong with leaving the filter. Changing the filter after 500 miles would be completely unnecessary.
That's what I thought. I didn't know if it'd be an issue with:
1. Not getting a complete drain
2. Switching viscosity from 0w20 to 5w30

That filter holds so little fluid (4-6 ounces maybe?) that the car won't even know the difference. I understand you concern though, especially with a new car.

Some manufactures, like Honda, even recommend multiple OCI's using the same oil filter. The small amount of contamination between the new and old fluid is trivial with these smaller filters.

BTW, nice car!

Last edited:
What issues do you see with those? The oils have an API license so they have passed ASTM D6922 which guarantees miscibility.

As for the different grades, depending on how much residual oil is left you'll have a very slightly thinner 30-grade since there will be a bit of 20-grade left over. No harm here, right?

What issues do you see with those? The oils have an API license so they have passed ASTM D6922 which guarantees miscibility.

As for the different grades, depending on how much residual oil is left you'll have a very slightly thinner 30-grade since there will be a bit of 20-grade left over. No harm here, right?
Sorry, I don't understand the first part. Can you explain?

Why were you worried about not getting a complete drain? Perhaps I was mistaken in assuming you were concerned about mixing oils.
Yea I wasn't sure if it would be enough volume to begin with, especially since it's a vertical filter in the engine bay

Why were you worried about not getting a complete drain? Perhaps I was mistaken in assuming you were concerned about mixing oils.
I figured some oil won't drain out without taking the filter off and letting it vent

1. These engines (at least the FA20DIT) spec 5.1 L with a filter change, 4.9 L without a filter change. Total oil capacity is 6.0 L with an engine rebuild, so there will around 1 L of used oil left in the engine either way. The difference is nothing to worry about, especially with your short OCIs.

2. Not an issue.

Changing the filter every 2 OCIs at 6-7k miles would be perfectly reasonable.

1. These engines (at least the FA20DIT) spec 5.1 L with a filter change, 4.9 L without a filter change. Total oil capacity is 6.0 L with an engine rebuild, so there will around 1 L of used oil left in the engine either way. The difference is nothing to worry about, especially with your short OCIs.

2. Not an issue.

Changing the filter every 2 OCIs at 6-7k miles would be perfectly reasonable.
It's thr FA24DIT

It's thr FA24DIT
Yeah, but it should be similar.

Another quirk of these engines is that oil will continue to drain from the engine for a long while after the engine is shut off. Even the oil in the oil filter will mostly drain out through the bearings even though it has an anti-drainback valve. So, if you wait at least 30 minutes after the engine is shut off before draining the sump, you'll drain more oil out.

Another quirk of these engines is that oil will continue to drain from the engine for a long while after the engine is shut off. Even the oil in the oil filter will mostly drain out through the bearings even though it has an anti-drainback valve. So, if you wait at least 30 minutes after the engine is shut off before draining the sump, you'll drain more oil out.
If worried about draining, just drain it hot and let it sit overnight to let all residual drain down and out, then continue the OCI the next morning.

If you're going to leave it on, eave it on. Don't unscrew the filter.

Once you unscrew the filter, you must replace it. The gaskets usually only seal once :sneaky:

Yes it will be fine to leave it on. Changing it would be a waste of $10. The residual xw20 left over isn’t enough to effect anything.

Back