Shell Rotella T6, good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys just saw on Amazon Shell Rotella T6 is $19.57 for a gallon jug...$16.53 if you subscribe to get it delivered every 3 or 6 months. I usually just buy Supertech Syntethic or Pennzoil Platinum from Walmart both which seem to get high praise here on this forum. http://www.amazon.com/Rotella-550019921-...#productDetails I know it says for Diesel engine but as far as I can tell it can be used in gasoline engines as well, it's rated API SM which is what my car calls for *2010 Subaru Forester NA* What is everyone's opinion on this oil and more importantly would you put it in your vehicle versus the Supertech or Pennzoil? THanks

I guess the price is okay, but doesn't walmart offer this in a 5 quart jug for a better deal? I can't recall exactly if they have it in gallon or 5 quart.

$4.13 per quart is a good price on Rotella T6. However, the price might fluctuate. It doesn't stay the same price, they will adjust the price based on the current price when they're about to send it to you. So while you might get the first one at that price, the price might be different when they send you the next one scheduled on the subscription.

T6 is a good oil. Subarus, especially turbo Subarus, tend to like thicker oils, so it might be worth giving it a shot.

That being said, I don't know if it'll offer you any more protection than PP. What you're OCI?

$16.53 is lower than I've ever seen it. They probably adjusted their price to match Wal-Mart's current Rollback, and the S&S provides an additional discount. There don't seem to be any Rotella rebates currently.

That oil's thicker than necessary for a non-turbo Subaru, but won't hurt anything. It's a fine product. Use it if you want, or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 if you'd prefer a Shell product more appropriate for the vehicle.

Usually goes on sale for $12 at the local parts stores. It's nothing all that special to be bending over backwards for.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Usually goes on sale for $12 at the local parts stores. It's nothing all that special to be bending over backwards for.

Are you thinking of T Triple 15w-40? I've never seen T6 5w-40 for $12/gal.

The best deal I've ever found was $19.99 at Tractor Supply during the $5 rebate, so $14.99.

My local WM has T6 on rollback for $19.57 a gallon.

*That is the cheapest I have ever found it.

Last edited:
If you really want to use a thicker oil in your car, then you might consider either M1 or Castrol 0W-40.
Either will cost about the same per quart from Walmart as T6 does and both carry a host of certs that T6 doesn't.
Rotella 5W-40 made a lot of sense some years ago when Walmart had it for fourteen bucks a gallon. I bought a bunch of it at the time and used it in 5W-30 applications.
At the current price, there are other, possibly better choices.
Anyway, an NA Subaru probably doesn't really need anything thicker than a 5W-30, although I have used the much thicker GC in ours.

Autozone goofed last year in an ad and had it for $12.99 along with conventional Valvoline and Delvac. Some of us here took advantage of it. JASO MA is the reason I buy it.

I was able to buy some M1 TDT for that price.

2 weeks later they had the quarts for $1 each. I still have like 8 gallons left all together. Lol.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I was able to buy some M1 TDT for that price.

2 weeks later they had the quarts for $1 each. I still have like 8 gallons left all together. Lol.

That's right, I picked up 4 gallons of TDT then. It was AAP that had T6 for $13, no rebates, and I picked up 4 gallons.

Yea, my fault. I thought I read T5. My 27" monitor must not be big enough.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Are you thinking of T Triple 15w-40? I've never seen T6 5w-40 for $12/gal.

The best deal I've ever found was $19.99 at Tractor Supply during the $5 rebate, so $14.99.

i frequently turned on/off subscriptions, especially with amazon mom when we ordered industrial amounts of diapers/wipes. in short, do it and cancel after the shipment, reup again later.

I think WM dropped T6 from over $20 to just under...

So $16 is a good deal for a regular delivery.

That said, one time I was doing well with subscribe and save on Valvoline nexgen, and one cycle the price for 6 qts went up to like $40. Your price is NOT locked in...

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Is constant use of diesel oil OK for our gas-catalytic convertors now?

If you don't burn oil, OK!

BTW, I just saw that there will be a $5 rebate on T6 gallon jugs purchased from March through May. Details will be posted at www.rotella.com/promotions. Earlier today I saw the bottles of T6 had stickers on them with the info.

I don't know if there are restrictions on where it can be purchased from, but if Amazon purchases are allowed, then you could potentially pick up some T6 at an excellent price. Worth looking into when they update the website with the promotion info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back